Thread: Red Hat9 with Linksys WMP11 PCI card (wireless)

Red Hat9 with Linksys WMP11 PCI card (wireless)

Hi,
    I followed the tutorial at: http://www.siliconvalleyccie.com/lin...mp11-linux.htm
    And I got some errors at one point. Here is what i did and the errors
    [root@localhost root]# /etc/init.d/wlan restart
    Shutting Down WLAN Devices: Shutting Down WLAN Devices: wlanctl-ng: No such device
    wlan0: unknown interface: No such device
    Starting WLAN Devices: modprobe: Can't locate module p80211[ OK ]
    Failed to load p80211.o.
    [root@localhost root]# ifup wlan0
    prism2_pci device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.
    [root@localhost root]#
    [root@localhost root]# ping 192.168.2.1
    connect: Network is unreachable
    [root@localhost root]#
    esher2292

What version of the WMP card do you have? I think only the original version is Linux compatible. You can check www.linux-wlan.org for a list of compatible devices.

To tell you the truth, I have no idea. How do I find out?

You have to look on the NIC card itself. I think you'll find it on the large metal box screwed on the circuit board.

Ok---I'll let you know what is it

Hi,

I'm having the same problems too. I installed all the RPMS needed for using linux-wlan-ng to configure the wireless Linksys WMP11 PCI card to my Red Hat 9 system (kernel 2.4.20-31.9). This card appears on the list of linux-compatible wireless cards.

The lights on the wireless card are green and ifcfg-wlan0 is present, however, "iwconfig" says that there are no wireless connections.

No errors were reported duriing the installation of linux-wlan. After the installation, I modified the wlan.conf file with the SSID of linux-wlan and created the wlancfg-linux-wlan file as well (as per the HOWTO). However, when I tried to restart pcmcia with /etc/init.c/pcmcia, the system says that my wireless device does not exist??

prism2_init: prism2_pci.o: 0.2.1-pre14 loaded
    prism2_init: dev_info is: prism2_pci
    prism2_init: prism2_pci: No devices found. driver not installed.
    prism2_pci device wlan0 does not seem to be present, delaying initialization.

As well, the "Red Hat 9 Hardware Browser" does not show the wireless card in its list of system hardware. Also, /var/log/messages does not detect any new card being inserted even though the card is fully sitting in its slot. :S I don't understand why the system does not detect the card.

It would be great if any of you could enlighten me with you expert knowledge.

Thanks in advance,
    Adelaide

Administrator Moderator
    The wireless chipset used on the WMP11 card has changed a number of times over the past few years.

The Linux compatible chipset was the original Intersil Prism set, but they have modified it to the Broadcom and other manufacturers that aren't Linux supported.

See this link for Linux-wlan compatible hardware. http://www.linux-wlan.org/docs/wlan_adapters.html.gz

You'll have to look at the card to make sure you are using the very first version to get it to work properly with Linux WLAN or iwconfig as expected. I think the very first verion has no version number on it.

This URL says that they managed to get the version 2.7 card working using ndiswrapper which seems to allow x86 windows drivers to be loaded into Linux.

http://www.linuxquestions.org/hcl/sh...p?product=1399

I hope this helps. The Netgear ma311 works flawlessly.

Thanks so much Starfish!

It's unfortunate that the manufacturers don't put the version numbers on the box. I even checked the list that you sent me prior to make sure that the card would possibly be compatible with linux. But the Linksys turned out to be WMP11v4 (so, version 4 )

I'll try the Netgear MA311. On the Future Shop site, it has the model number as Netgear MA311CN. The Netgear website only shows MA311. Does the CN-prefix mean 'Canadian' version? Any ideas?

Here are the Future Shop specs on the Netgear MA311CN card:
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...8&WLBS=fsweb18

Thanks again for your help.

-- Adelaide