Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo messenger client

Yahoo messenger client

Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a Yahoo messenger client for linux that works. I've tried a few KYim, and the client made by Yahoo but neither of them would compile properly. :-\

Re:Yahoo messenger client

You can try gaim and use the yahoo plugin

Good Guru

I'm using ( only very few times a month ) YIM client from Yahoo. It works but the features are not as interesting as Windows clients. But at least it works on my machine.

Red Hat 7.2 and my YIM is 0.93.0-1 and I installed it via RPM. If you need, I can send it to you. It's about 103K.

[quote author=ASCI_Blue link=board=2;threadid=4404;start=0#43804 date=1028045411]
    Just wondering if anyone out there knows of a Yahoo messenger client for linux that works. I've tried a few KYim, and the client made by Yahoo but neither of them would compile properly. :-\
    [/quote]

Well if you're using KDE, you could try Kopete. It does AIM/IRC/MSN/Yahoo/ICQ/Jabber. Its in its early stages but with a few more releases, it'll probably pass Gaim in terms of quality.

[quote author=ASCI_Blue link=board=2;threadid=4404;start=0#43804 date=1028045411]
    [/quote]
    I run it under GAIM - also run MSN Messenger, ICQ and AOL AIM. Took me awhile to figure out how to do it (and then afterwards I felt like a dummy because it is so simple). It works great!

Good Guru

Do any of the OSS programs do file sharing? I wanted to pass a file over to a buddy, and it would not let me do it that way> I was forced to email him (which sucked due to the mailbox size limit imposed.

[quote author=ShadowMan link=board=2;threadid=4404;start=0#44396 date=1028387606]
    Do any of the OSS programs do file sharing? I wanted to pass a file over to a buddy, and it would not let me do it that way> I was forced to email him (which sucked due to the mailbox size limit imposed.
    [/quote]

SCP!!

Good Guru

SCP? If that is what I think you mean , secure copy from ssh, that is useless to me. The majority of my friends that use computers even half as much as I do use Win98. So that is not that great. I suppose, I could creat a user for the individuals (friend), plop the files in, and then have them sftp -- but that is much more work than clicking on a file button and whipping it to them.

licq does file sharing iirc

Good Guru

sweet. Whatabout anything for aim/yahoo ? I have a split crowd. Most are on yahoo, with some (more proficient users) on ICQ, and a few stragglers clinging to AIM like a liferaft. I havent used licq in a while, I will be trying that one out.

Thanks!