Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Redhat == evil

Re:Redhat == evil

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43891 date=1028070783]
    However, I have the talent bestowed upon me to grab the rpms and do an "rpm -Uvh *rpm" and add the new shit in.
    [/quote]

the problem is that they either don't provide the rpm's or they do it way too late

for instance: head on over to ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable

then check out the bugfix releases for kde3 (kde 3.0.1 and kde 3.0.2). for KDE 3.0.1 u will notice that no rpm's for Redhat were provided. Suse however, had the rpm's the day 3.0.1 was released.

now look at 3.0.2
    i have to admit to my surprise that the Redhat rpm's are there now. they weren't there earlier so i checked the date on the Redhat folder and low and behold, it says july 30th
    that was yesterday
    Suse had their rpm's of 3.0.2 out on July 2nd... they day 3.0.2 was released

If you guys haven't noticed already, the article has an exciting update from RedHat now. Hint: KDE will have an extra computer at their booth. It seems it was a marketroid that contacted Charles Samuels, and RH never meant to treat KDE that way... anyway, an article linked around the 'net certainly got them on the phone to KDE a lot quicker.

well that's good news for sure
    certainly a step in the right direction

wow - i miss a day of posting and this comes up...

RedHat sabotaging KDE? well look at the source RedHat ships with all its distros - find out if it is sabatoged.

RedHat and KDE had their fall out way back when KDE using troll tech did not like Troll Tech not GPLing the windowing stuff right? I have no idea of why RedHat would be faulted by the community for this (even if KDE is suppior to Gnome)but they certainly were.

if you don't think RedHat does not help Linux along then please check out who is on rh's payroll and see if they resources they are bankrolling are helping.

KDE may be nice (i dunno, i still use fvwm ) and i am sure it has made the switch to linux easier for many people and I for one am very happy to see a desktop environment of KDEs caliper on Linux.

Near as I can tell both these people had some issues, it was between them, not RedHat and KDE.

Why does eveyone keep saying RedHat, MandrakeSoft and Suse are competitors?? I never see it this way, the reat of the world (i.e. non - GNU/linux) is the competiton.

it seems this web site is somewhat slanted towards KDE/ suse people...

lastly -
    A commentary is hardly news...

[quote author=pbharris link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=30#43939 date=1028090307]

it seems this web site is somewhat slanted towards KDE/ suse people...
    [/quote]

You've made my day. Apparently I'm hiding my bias very well, I actually am not particularly crazy about SuSE, but strongly prefer Mandrake Linux. That has been my goal - I'd prefer the case to be if one only read my news reporting (and not commentary) that they wouldn't know what I preferred.

Re: KDE, we've featured a lot of pro-KDE content lately, but it just seems to be the way things are working out at the moment. GNOME isn't quite good enough - yet - to receive a positive review, but that doesn't mean they won't ever. GNOME 2.2, I am told, should be very slick.

Also, you will notice that I gave a postive mini-review of Debian a few days ago, and they are actually a GNOME friendly distro.

lastly -
    A commentary is hardly news...
    Right. In this particular case I'd say it was more news then commentary, however since I interjected my personal opinions, especially toward the end, I felt I'd do a disservice to my readers to call it news.

Best,
    Tim

Good Guru

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=30#43896 date=1028071861]
    [quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43891 date=1028070783]
    However, I have the talent bestowed upon me to grab the rpms and do an "rpm -Uvh *rpm" and add the new shit in.
    [/quote]

the problem is that they either don't provide the rpm's or they do it way too late

for instance: head on over to ftp://ftp.kde.org/pub/kde/stable

then check out the bugfix releases for kde3 (kde 3.0.1 and kde 3.0.2). for KDE 3.0.1 u will notice that no rpm's for Redhat were provided. Suse however, had the rpm's the day 3.0.1 was released.

now look at 3.0.2
    i have to admit to my surprise that the Redhat rpm's are there now. they weren't there earlier so i checked the date on the Redhat folder and low and behold, it says july 30th
    that was yesterday
    Suse had their rpm's of 3.0.2 out on July 2nd... they day 3.0.2 was released

[/quote]

By the next post we should be seeing eye to eys ;D

But ... rpmfind usually yields some rpm that a company has thrown together for any rpm distro. RedHat needs to cater to the server arena still, and thus must test everything thoroghly. GNOME and KDE preference aside, they must test each package they put up. Once they can start having a team focus specifically on desktop apps, the rate WILL increase. However until then, normal users either

A) Use a slightly old (although stable) release of the particular app

B) Go find a rpm made by someone other than RedHat to fill the gap.

C) Compile from source.

For me A or B are useful solutions for the mass. You and I are perfectly able to utilize C, but for me -- why bother. I can wait for now. The last major thing I went out of my way to compile was GNOME 2.0. If it wasnt the fact that I couldnt wait to see it, I would have waited the month or whatever to get a RedHat approved rpm.

Ashcrow said:
    .... you can find the latest KDE release in Rawhide (it's RH's Cooker basically). http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2htm...hide&arch=
    ==========================================
    i dont understand whats the problem here?
    are RH users too stooopid/ inexperienced to
    go #rpm -Uvh ??? No.
    are RH users too stooopid/ inexperienced to know about www.rpmfind.net ? No.
    so the only issues here are:
    1. RH wouldnt lend a box to KDE ?
    2. RH hasnt updated KDE fast enough to make someone who uses LFS happy?
    these arent serious issues! cmon.