Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redhat == evil

Re:Redhat == evil

i always did say, Redhat, welcome to the dark side. :P

Be a man, be a slacker.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43824 date=1028052168]

To me neither side acted very mature here. They both need to get their butts spanked. Too bad too, KDE and RedHat could have both benefitted greatly from the idea. Oh well, its just another case of the community screwing itself. [/quote]

It's human nature. Most people look out for themselves. RH obviously didn't care about KDE, but they wanted to be able to say that x% of the computers there were running RH. Makes sense from their point of view. KDE get's the email(that was sent to a lot of people) they get a little irritated since RH mostly ignores them, but sees it as a chance to get a computer, they try, RH refuses to give them special treatment. They said that it was too close to the date, and all their PCs were gone. Makes sense. They can't go buy one for KDE. They'll have to buy one for everybody. KDE get's mad.

What could've been done here? RH not even ask KDE. Doesn't seem fair if they don't support them. But I don't think they should've given them a pc if they weren't giving them to "everybody" else.

Personally, I think the article was very biased, and I was suprised when I read the transcript, because it was nearly as nasty as I expected from reading the article.

[quote author=11000 link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43838 date=1028059234]
    KDE get's the email(that was sent to a lot of people) they get a little irritated since RH mostly ignores them, but sees it as a chance to get a computer
    [/quote]

it's not like the wanna get a computer so they would own it. they don't work in the same office or anything like that, they are spread accross the globe so the computer would be returned after the event, like they always do with other hardware that has been provided with other sponsors for KDE events

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43829 date=1028057183]
    KDE has been more popular than GNOME since the get go. GNOME is just starting to pick up some speed finally.
    [/quote]
    i disagree
    for a long time it was about 50/50
    just lately KDE has really been getting ahead

Don't forget that they don't merge stuff as fast as Mandrake or SuSE does ....
    if it's a bugfix release without new features they should provide RPM's for the current distro because their users deserve to get the version with the fewest bugs in them.

if i was talking about the latest greatest version with all the new features then i would agree with what u just said and that not everyone updates right away because they wanna wait for the added stability that usually comes with bugfix releases.
    but cmon man... a release that only fixes bugs.. that should be added ASAP. and if the distro doesn't provide packages for it, it's a sign that they don't care about bugs in the current version and i would interpret that as a deliberate attempt to keep the users using versions with bugs in them even though they've already been fixed

Good Guru

If you haven't noticed Ralinx, RedHat mainly patches services/daemons and such. You do get a few non daemon patches here and there, and a mozilla update now and then. But they care about servers. Servers dont need X (unless you are doing thin clients)

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43856 date=1028062838]
    If you haven't noticed Ralinx, RedHat mainly patches services/daemons and such. You do get a few non daemon patches here and there, and a mozilla update now and then. But they care about servers. Servers dont need X (unless you are doing thin clients)
    [/quote]

true, but their desktop users deserve better IMO
    they may not care about them, but they do have desktop users and providing redhat packages for the latest bugfix releases of KDE should only take them a couple of houres to produce. it really isn't too much to ask for

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43864 date=1028063366]
    [/quote]

Very true.

Good Guru

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43864 date=1028063366]

they may not care about them, but they do have desktop users and providing redhat packages for the latest bugfix releases of KDE should only take them a couple of houres to produce. it really isn't too much to ask for
    [/quote]

Dude -- dont get me wrong, I would love to have more speedy desktop updates. But life is life -- RedHat is making money on servers. Now they are getting out of the Red (no pun intended -- really.... okay you got me (: ) Now they can start churning the engines for more mainstream desktops.

I am a realist. Any company that expects to make money, needs to find a market to do so. To create a market, you are going to blow shitloads of money potentially. Almost every linux distributor has lost alot of money (sans SuSE IIRC, although that may be wayyy off)

What most vendors right now would just LOVE to do is make a desktop market. Does Dave, my next door neighbor know what the fuck linux is? More than likely not. I mentioned it to him last time I fixed his fubar winders install. But he dont care until he sees shit on tv telling him to change. Thats life. The average person doesnt care. Tv ads (in the US of A) can change this. But that co$t$ money. Lots of it. RedHat was wise enough to stay hardcore in the server arena and become a god there. Now they are finally becoming capable of moving onward to desktops in the mainstream.

As much as I wish it to be untrue, the previous tidbit is truth. Money (unfortunately) doesnt grow in the backyard on deniro plants. And since money drives the planet, thats the way its going to be for some time. Hopefully Mandrake and RedHat can start getting Linux onto the desktops at BestBuy and CompUSA within the next few years. But until then, we are going to be stuck between a rock and a hard place. Mandrake and RedHat are both contributing so much resources back to the comunity, that there needs to be a return. Many are grabbing Redhat for servers. Conversely, many are grabbing Mandrake for desktop use. But the question is -- how many are paying for the use of the OS? That is what is going to push linux from where it is now, to a more mainstream audience. Fuck, if companies start getting off the M$ bandwagon, and picking up Linux or even OS X, that is an awesome change! People will get accustomed to the new environment quickly at work. What needs to happen, is corporate $$$ getting pushed their (collectively) way. It is essentially the only way for us ALL to win.

schotty, ur right about that but i think u understood me wrong

when i said "their desktop users" i mean the people that currently use redhat on their desktops... the people that already run linux and have chosen to run redhat on their desktop. they deserve the bugfix releases and a lot of them don't wanna compile them themselves. the desktop users u are talking about is a whole different story. so if redhat would spend just a few hours on making packages of bugfix releases for KDE when they come out, their existing desktop users only benefit from it. and really, the compilation process will take a few hours but the people making the packages wouldn't even have to spend a lot of time on them. just compile it (if u script it it's less than a minute of actual work to get an entire KDE release to compile) and make rpm's out of that. a small effort, and their existing desktop users only benefit from it.

Good Guru

No I understood you fine. I (as a RH desktop user) am getting left behind for servers. Its a fact I deal with. However, I have the talent bestowed upon me to grab the rpms and do an "rpm -Uvh *rpm" and add the new shit in. Does everyone know that shit is that easy? No. Could it be much more accesible to all if they added some of their most superior support for their servers to the desktops? Hell yeah.