Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Redhat == evil

Re:Redhat == evil

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43791 date=1028042556]

It seems more like a point of view thing. Either the KDE team is a bunch of jerks or Red Hat was trying to be forcefull.
    [/quote]

I just read the transcript... Interesting. I don't necessarly think either side was wrong in that exchange. RH wanted free publicity, and KDE wanted a computer out of it, or at least some return publicity.

The article was definitely very anti-rh, and after reading the transcript I think the only thing that you can fault RH for is wanted free publicity. They probably would've had the same conversation gnome, or E or any other group of people.

i'm with the KDE guys on this one

KDE continiously gets support from Suse and Mandrake and some other distro's

Redhat however doesn't do shit for KDE, yet they want them to use Redhat at the event. KDE in response says "fine, provide us with a computer with redhat on it and we'll do it"

what the transcript doesn't show however, is that Suse usually sponsors a lot of KDE events and provides them with hardware and other things whenever they go to an event or organise one.

so basically, i think the KDE people are right because why would they wanna help redhat out if redhat is known for shipping problematic versions of KDE and basically trying to ruin their reputation with their faulty KDE versions in their distro? redhat wants them to promote redhat, but redhat doesn't wanna promote KDE... never has either. So considering the fact that the other computers that will be used by the KDE team at the event are sponsored by Suse and Mandrake, i think it's only fair that Redhat provides them with a box for the event if they want KDE to promote Redhat.

[quote author=11000 link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43797 date=1028043596]
    They probably would've had the same conversation gnome
    [/quote]

no because redhat uses Gnome by default on the desktop

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43799 date=1028043961]
    so basically, i think the KDE people are right because why would they wanna help redhat out if redhat is known for shipping problematic versions of KDE and basically trying to ruin their reputation with their faulty
    [/quote]

Are you suggesting that Red Hat is trying to sabatoge KDE?

I think we may be dealing with an isolated individual, rather than the company as a whole. Red Hat has shown it undertsands the market pretty well, I don't think a corporate mandate would direct a marketer to strong arm the KDE folks.

Maybe this person is just a marketroid. I've seen it many times, they don't understand the market, and don't really care.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43803 date=1028044975]
    Are you suggesting that Red Hat is trying to sabatoge KDE?
    [/quote]

do u have any other explanation for why the Red Hat KDE packages aren't always for the latest version available (with that i don't mean like they don't have packages for 3.0 but rather that they don't release packages for bugfix releases like 3.0.2 for example... basically making the majority of Redhat users use a KDE version with bugs in it that have been fixed already but aren't available for redhat for some mysterious reason), have a lot of weird problems with them, and that they have only one developer on their payroll who actually spends a bit of time on KDE? not even actual developing might i add... he just lurks around on the KDE mailinglists and sometimes creates packages and whatnot, but he is not a KDE developer and that this guy himself often says that he's the only one from within Redhat who's allowed to spend time on KDE? oh, his name is Bero by the way... u probably have heard of him before.

both Suse, Mandrake, Connectiva and some other distro's have developers working on KDE and they fully support it. Redhat has developers working on Gnome and even though KDE is becoming a lot more popular than Gnome they don't even let ONE person participate in actual development of KDE even if it could help them gain users.

of course, i'll bet u can give me a good reason why some distro deliberately wouldn't want to provide the best KDE packages available and thus make the experience for the redhat users better :

apt-get install kde

Definatly get out of the past join the future.

> emerge kde >

the only apt-get command i would support is:
    apt-get remove debbies

Good Guru

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43791 date=1028042556]
    Did you guys read the transcript? It's really, really weird. Here is the run down.

Mann: Hey Mr. KDE dev-man, don't you want to run Red Hat too? It rocks! In the long run you'll get good press.

Samuels: Ok, give us a computer then and I will agree.

Mann: We don't have another computer to loan you during Linux World nor and boxen at our booth. I'm telln you, Red Hat == press! Will you do it?

Samules: You frickn a**hole! We won't scratch your back unless you scratch ours!
    It seems more like a point of view thing. Either the KDE team is a bunch of jerks or Red Hat was trying to be forcefull.
    [/quote]

To me neither side acted very mature here. They both need to get their butts spanked. Too bad too, KDE and RedHat could have both benefitted greatly from the idea. Oh well, its just another case of the community screwing itself. I am curious to see what happens with this one. Hopefully each side will get their head out of their respective asses and wake up. It's not like each side can really afford these games, especially RedHat. RedHat == commercial entity. KDE == nifty free apps. RedHat can look much worse in the long run. KDE can probably shake any ill effects off rather easily.

I think the moral of this story is "Linux and politics dont mix too well."

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=13;threadid=4397;start=0#43808 date=1028046250]
    Redhat has developers working on Gnome and even though KDE is becoming a lot more popular than Gnome they don't even let ONE person participate in actual development of KDE even if it could help them gain users.
    [/quote]

KDE has been more popular than GNOME since the get go. GNOME is just starting to pick up some speed finally.

of course, i'll bet u can give me a good reason why some distro deliberately wouldn't want to provide the best KDE packages available and thus make the experience for the redhat users better :
    I doubt they would want to hurt another Open project that they support (even if it is supoprted poorly).

Don't forget that they don't merge stuff as fast as Mandrake or SuSE does .... you can find the latest KDE release in Rawhide (it's RH's Cooker basically). http://www.rpmfind.net/linux/rpm2htm...hide&arch=