Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wierd peer to peer prob

Wierd peer to peer prob

Setup a peer to peer between to winderz puters for my dad last week. It had a very wierd problem. I could ping from one computer to the other and get a reply from the first computer, but not from the second computer. The first computer could "see" the second computer in the network neighborhood, but could not browse it. The second computer did not see the first one at all. I installed new drivers for the second computer. It worked before I gave it to him, as it was my gateway and firewall. Im thinking its a bad crossover cable. What do you guys think?

Good Guru

Re:Wierd peer to peer prob

First I would check the cable with a cable tester (providing you have one)

Then check to see that each PC has the same protocols enabled. For example, just tcp/ip on each (if its a winders box). I noticed that having netBIOS and IPX can screw things up.

Also make sure that they are on the same subnet. I have had weird issues with that cropping up. Theoretically, if one is on a wrong subnet (to what is wanted), neither shall talk, but windows is wierd to begin with ;D

I use to have to use lmhosts file to be able to see other machines on a p2p network. Have you checked the NIC's for problems?

Yeah, both comps are in the same subnet and both are running tcp/ip. I dont have a cable tester handy. I told him to swap the cable around and see if the problem reverses itself.

Is it patch cable?

Good Guru

He said;
    [quote author=Mountainman link=board=4;threadid=4389;start=0#43674 date=1027972988]
    Im thinking its a bad crossover cable.
    [/quote]

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=4;threadid=4389;start=0#43674 date=1027972988]
    Setup a peer to peer between to winderz puters for my dad last week. It had a very wierd problem. I could ping from one computer to the other and get a reply from the first computer, but not from the second computer. The first computer could "see" the second computer in the network neighborhood, but could not browse it. The second computer did not see the first one at all. I installed new drivers for the second computer. It worked before I gave it to him, as it was my gateway and firewall. Im thinking its a bad crossover cable. What do you guys think?
    [/quote]

Is it running Zonealarm or any other firewall? Took me three days to figure that out last time.

He is running zonealarm now that I think of it, but it never came up with any alerts when we were trying to ping it or anything else of that nature. I will tell him to try that though.

Good Guru

[quote author=Mountainman link=board=4;threadid=4389;start=0#43755 date=1028026143]
    He is running zonealarm now that I think of it, but it never came up with any alerts when we were trying to ping it or anything else of that nature.
    [/quote]
    If you configure ZoneAlarm not to alert it, it will not BUT it will keep a log of it. So if you check the alerts, it should show though .... May time, ZoneAlarm will simply drop the packets and not let you know at all ( in the cost of hiding complexity from the users and simplicity for the (l)users.

I still dont think he has it running correctly. And yes, it is a patch cable THIS time. Right, Mountainman. wink wink nudge nudge. I didnt get to test the new cable, as i was already late for leaving the state, so it may still be a cable problem.