Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

wine locks up can't be killed in Mandrake 10

Thread: wine locks up can't be killed in Mandrake 10

Associate

wine locks up can't be killed in Mandrake 10

Using Mandrake 10.0 official and xfce4 I had wine working just fine but now it _will not_ run. I was using version 20040213 which came with Mandrake and when it stopped working I uninstalled it and installed 20040408 which did not help. As I say it was working fine and then one day no response and no error messages from the command line in a terminal. I am unable to kill it either ps locks up when it gets to wine and top will not run. In fact the computer will not even shut down. I can telinit to runlevel 3 but not to 1. It appears that when the shutdown process reaches wine it just sits. I have checked my config files and they seem okay and the problem occurs when I try to run it as root as well. I tried xwine which loads fine but it too locks when I try to run any program. I might add that everything else seems to continue working fine - until I want to shut down or reboot.

Any ideas? I feel there must be a missing file or library or something with the permissions but am out of ideas.

thanks

last i heard mandrake 10 was shipped with a buggy kernel which may be causing you problems, or the rpms were not setup properly by the maintainer, hence why we denounce rpm distros, things to try would be updating your kernel to a vanilla kernel you might also install wine and its dependencies from source so you know what is going on with, that would make trouble shooting it easier

And while your playing around installing (or rebuilding) the kernel. Try building the 'Magic SysRQ Key' it sends calls directly to the kernel and can safely dump all memory, unmount disks, and reboot the computer even in situations where the system is "hard locked" I havn't had a situation that this didnt have its effect.

Associate
    I did download and install the latest kernel security upgrade (I'm using 2.4 not 2.6) - though I think the problem began before the upgrade but I can't be sure. Thanks for the tips I'll see what I can do.

Associate
    It was the kernel - switched to 2.6 and now it works. Thanks a lot - I never would have thought of this in a hundred years.

cool.

:roll: :P

You'll be much happier with 2.6 anyway. The preemption stuff really gives my systems a much needed shot in the performance arm.

On any distro, I always switch to the vanilla kernel, patching it with the bootsplash patch myself. Occasionally, I'll use the -mm patches, if I'm feeling frisky. Most distros tend to overpatch what's already a great kernel. That's why I like Slackware so much. Everything's vanilla from the get go.
    \"I will do what I have to do to be reelected.\"
    --George H. W. Bush, January 3, 1992

\"I know the human being and fish can coexist peacefully.\"
    --George W. Bush, September 29, 2000

Ho, ho.

bootsplash?? Whasthat?

http://www.bootsplash.org/

A Bootsplash is basically a way to make your standard linux terminal (TTY) much much more attractive on boot. and with framebuffers during system operation, who needs X?