Thread: OfB Open Choice Awards 2002

OfB Open Choice Awards 2002

http://www.ofb.biz/modules.php?name=...le&sid=146

naturally, KDE and it's applications came out as the big winners

Kind Mastermind

Re:OfB Open Choice Awards 2002

Interesting stuff, thanks Ralinx.

Mandrake 8.2 was voted the best distro? I'm a little warry .....

Let me get this straight:

In email clients, mutt is nowhere to be found, developpement tools: gcc, gdb, ddd, python. ruby, perl are all NOT there, and Debian is not in best distros... I would not consider these results any worthy.

[quote author=GnuVince link=board=13;threadid=4373;start=0#43526 date=1027890893]
    In email clients, mutt is nowhere to be found
    [/quote]
    of course not
    how many regular users actually use mutt? it's good for the CLI people but would any normal person actually wanna use that? i think not

developpement tools: gcc, gdb,
    what the hell do u think kdevelop uses to compile and debug?

and Debian is not in best distros...
    i don't wanna start a distro war here but the word "duh" comes to mind

I would not consider these results any worthy.
    i also don't agree with the best distribution winner
    however, no distro deserves an award imo because they all do only one thing well: make stuff _not_ work

but most of the results are right IMO. if ur working on large projects (not one of your small pet projects) then u will see the value of kdevelop. just try to manage an application with over 20000 lines of code with just VIM or a regular text editor. it will work, but kdevelop will save u a shitload of time. kmail is also an excellent client with loads of features, very easy to use and stable as hell (for those who don't agree, please try to explain to me how kmail manages to stay running for weeks without any problems while handling over 20 high traffic mailinglists). and as for KDE, well... u may not like KDE but even an idiot would have to realise that KDE is one of the best open-source projects out there. if u wanna promote open source, KDE is the right project to use as an example.

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=13;threadid=4373;start=0#43530 date=1027896637]

but most of the results are right IMO. if ur working on large projects (not one of your small pet projects) then u will see the value of kdevelop. just try to manage an application with over 20000 lines of code with just VIM or a regular text editor. it will work, but kdevelop will save u a shitload of time.
    [/quote]

I beg to differ. I use vim for large things in the university setting (more than 2k lines of code) and it works better than any comercial or other non-comercial IDE/Editor I've used. I tihnk that KDevelop kicks major butt, but it doesn't have as many language bindings and isn't as portable as vim.

kmail is also an excellent client with loads of features, very easy to use and stable as hell (for those who don't agree, please try to explain to me how kmail manages to stay running for weeks without any problems while handling over 20 high traffic mailinglists).
    [/quote]

Kmail is a good email client. My experience was that the 2.x Kmails were very buggy and unstable ... but I think that depends on how it's compilied and what versions of libraries it's sitting on top of, etc ...

and as for KDE, well... u may not like KDE but even an idiot would have to realise that KDE is one of the best open-source projects out there. if u wanna promote open source, KDE is the right project to use as an example.
    [/quote]

Yeah, KDE is a great project. At the same point, I think most people point and say thats how not to run your development. KDE is feature rich and has a good dev-base but it is quite large and needs a good amount of resources. Same thing can be said about GNOME.

I am supprised that Mandrake won the best distro award. I would expect Red Hat or SuSE to win because of their wide use and reputation. Mandrake is fine and all, but I don't think it's all that popular as a distro compared to the heavy hitters.

Hi everyone,
    I thought I'd answer some of the questions raised about our choices for the Open Choice 2002 awards.

Mandrake: Mandrake is one of the heavy hitters these days. It is one of the "big three," and has grown to own a large portion of the market share (especially for desktops). SuSE is fine, but we noted some reservations about it in this article, and also our review of it a few weeks ago. Finally, RH is generally focused more on the server then the desktop, and it shows. For a desktop Mandrake or SuSE is much more usable. While I'm a big Debian fan, it was not considered, because it simply isn't easy enough for fast deployments by companies migrating from proprietary software.

KMail: We did not consider CLI MUA's, because they are not appropriate for enterprise deployment.

KDevelop: Again, we were mostly focused on the typical enterprise user. For them, VIM or another basic text editor isn't what they want. They want an IDE like they are use to from Microsoft. Thus KDevelop was picked. We stayed away from low level stuff such as gcc, but certainly, KDevelop would be nothing without it.

Best Regards,
    Tim

I must say I totally agree with their choices, other than Kopete only got runnerup... just you wait one more year and we'll have them eating out of our palm.

KDeveloper is the best thing to have hit my computer ever, it's totally replaces M$ Visual C++ 6.0 for me.

I would have to agree that Mandrake probably is the most worthwhile distro to install, although I would have liked to see Lycoris nominated for that award. Mandrake just makes everthing so damn easy, even though it's based on those evil RPMs. Personally I sway to Gentoo or LFS, but I'm just a plain ol' sicko. But seriously Mandrake is deeply commited to the community, and I like that in a distro.

i would like to thank uninet for defending their choices both here and on dot.kde.org

every reply of his (here and on the dot) makes sense

btw, how did u find out about this board? did u just notice a lot of referrals on ur site from this board?

[quote author=uninet link=board=13;threadid=4373;start=0#43568 date=1027911004]

While I'm a big Debian fan, it was not considered, because it simply isn't easy enough for fast deployments by companies migrating from proprietary software.

KMail: We did not consider CLI MUA's, because they are not appropriate for enterprise deployment.
    [/quote]

Well it makes much more sense now :-). I didn't know the awards were geared to converts/end user/enterprise. In that case good job! :-)

VIM or another basic text editor isn't what they want.
    ACKEM! Vim is more than a basic text editor! It's mini IDE for 50 or more languages! :P