Thread: Nameserver problem

vikram_nanda

Nameserver problem

I am going to install a linux on a machine in a network which has only windows machines.

The problem is that previously when I installed linux, the machine clearly identified the nameserver and got an IP address(dhcp). We gave the machine a name.

Now, If I want to connect to this machine, I have to use the IP address of this machine as the nameserver doesnot recognize the machine by the name I gave it.

The machine previously had Win NT installed.

How do I get the nameserver to recognize the machine name.

I had a same problem while installing a FreeBSD machine on this network.

Bogler

Re:Nameserver problem

There should be a "hosts" file on the Windows nameserver.
    If you add the name and details of the Linux box in there and save then that should add the appropriate ebtry and make the difference.

..\sustem32\drivers\etc (i think) is the path, it is something like that anyhoo

Bogler

JimH

Ah more questions,

DHCP server is a windoze box?
    How are you resloving ip's now? DNS? Wins server?

Jim H

vikram_nanda

I installed the linux server today (RH 7.3 - this ver. for the first time).

It just asked for the type(dhcp or static).

When I logged on the machine, the machine had an IP address and it even had a name (I didnt give it any name)- looks like it for the name from the nameserver.

The name is definitely wrong because:
    1) We have been associating machine names with the hardware - so, if the win machine had name "xxx" then after installing linux on the same machine, the name should remain the same.
    2) Ping the machine (by name) from some other machine and the ip address shown on the screen is different from the machine's ip address.

The DHCP server is a windoze box.

JimH

Quote Originally Posted by vikram_nanda
    When I logged on the machine, the machine had an IP address and it even had a name (I didnt give it any name)- looks like it for the name from the nameserver.
    If you don't specify a hostname when you configure the NIC for DHCP it will automatically get a name from the DHCP server

The name is definitely wrong because:
    1) We have been associating machine names with the hardware - so, if the win machine had name "xxx" then after installing linux on the same machine, the name should remain the same.
    The DHCP server is configured to assign hostnames based on the machines MAC address? I assume the DHCP server is not configured to assign a "static" ip based on MAC address?

Jim H