Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Re-Install LILO after W2K Install

Re-Install LILO after W2K Install

My machine currently dual bots SuSE 8.0 and XP Pro, with SuSE being my main (99%) OS. I am about to remove XP and re-install 2K (for RTCW only ;D ), and 2K will certainly foo-bar with LILO (installed on the mbr).

If I have a proper boot disk for Linux, will booting to Linux and then running lilo, with the appropriate adjustments to lilo.conf, re-install LILO to my mbr, or do I need to do something a little more surgical? I can't seem to find too much on the web about this sort of scenario.

BTW, SuSE would appear to rock.

Mentor

Re:Re-Install LILO after W2K Install

In theory that is correct. But I have never been able to make lilo work with 2k. I am currently running 2 bootloaders. First I have got a bootloader call BootIT NG, which boots either Linux or 2k. That is installed in the MBR, I then have Lilo installed on my root drive. This is the only way I have been able to work. Just a warning, try the way that should work and if it doesn't then come back.
    CP

here's how i did it when i was dualbooting with win2k:

lilo on the mbr, giving the oppurtunity to either boot linux or win2k.

when it booted win2k it would just load the partition where the ntloader was installed on, and then the ntloader booted win2K

and yes, if u use a linux bootdisk and reinstall lilo it _should_ work, but problems could always occur

An update on this:

I installed 2K, then booted into rescue mode from the SuSE install CD. Mount the / partition (I mounted it as /mnt, but could have been anything), chroot to this newly mounted /mnt partition (this changes directory to /mnt and then makes it /), run "rdev /boot/vmlinuz" to check that lilo will point to the correct spot when it is run. Having booted from the CD, the root device listed by rdev was incorrect (pointed to a RAM drive or some shit like that), so run "rdev /boot/vmlinux /dev/hda" (ie point to mbr), and then run lilo (after adding W2K to lilo.conf), and away we go! Too easy 8)

<edit>Fix mistakes, correct grammar, change speeling</edit>

sounds good - could you make a pet out of it, because i never could get lilo installed after i installed windows ...

[quote author=ch-b link=board=1;threadid=4344;start=0#44907 date=1028794700]
    sounds good - could you make a pet out of it, because i never could get lilo installed after i installed windows ...
    [/quote]

Shall do. OpenOffice Writer is firing up as we speak.

hopefully...ur PET will work with XP as well, I had to reinstall XP and found out it kills the bootloader..or at least makes it hidden!
    -CJ

[quote author=cj171 link=board=1;threadid=4344;start=0#44943 date=1028817498]
    hopefully...ur PET will work with XP as well, I had to reinstall XP and found out it kills the bootloader..or at least makes it hidden!
    -CJ
    [/quote]

Well, it's up now. Give it a go, let me know how you go. It should work fine for XP.

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=75

[quote author=Pleiades link=board=1;threadid=4344;start=0#44946 date=1028820892]

http://www.linuxjunior.org/cgi-bin/p...play&id=75
    [/quote]

Nice PET - but you know that there is a Wolfenstein version out for linux ? :P

[quote author=ch-b link=board=1;threadid=4344;start=0#44954 date=1028824075]

Nice PET
    [/quote]

Why, thank you.

but you know that there is a Wolfenstein version out for linux ?
    ahem.....<looks in wallet, looks embarrassed>.....er, no I, um, prefer the Windows version.......No, really..................