Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

[Flame-war Warning! ] Which WM / DTE do you use?? - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: [Flame-war Warning! ] Which WM / DTE do you use??

Associate
    I've got KDE on the two machines I subject to friends and roommates, fluxbox on everything else. Never bothered with flux icons, the right-click menu is just too easy to hand edit.

Cheers,

Finegan

GNu Object Modeling Environment.

All the way.

Gnome rocks, especially with gdesklets. Well, if you're into a relatively simple DE with lots of sweet eye candy. Dropline Gnome on my Slack laptop. Gnome 2.6 everywhere. It's faster than 2.4, and will only get better in the future. Much better than KDE's bloat, with better applications in general. The only indispensable KDE app I've found is k3b, as nobody's taken the time to make a good cd burning frontend for Gnome. If I knew more about coding, I'd port it myself. Maybe I'll start reading up on GTK...

Associate
    *laughs*
    Well. would you all take the tike to explain Gnome or any other windowmanager to you partner and use a lot of time doing that. Or give them something that resembels winos. So that you can get your partner back to bed or stand there xplaining where to press the muose button?
    *grins* NOT THAT MOUSE BUTTON...
    The one on the pc.....
    *sighs* You sex-maniacs... OPPPS? Was that me?

TTY1 rules... Ok, i like to play around with TTY2 too....
    In a world without barriers and fences, who wants Windows and Gates?

Okay - I have now had a change of heart - over the last few days I have been playing around with Dropline Gome 2.6 and it has won my heart over.

Just need to sort a few problems out with it and it will be flying!!

Jamie

nobody's taken the time to make a good cd burning frontend for Gnome
    Look up gnometoaster. That's what I use for gui cd burning.

:roll: :P

I'm a KDE diehard - I really gave Gnome a shot for a while but Nautilus was just *awful* (IMHO, obviously.) I want a file manager that displays dates as numerals, none of this "Thursday at 8:00pm" nonsense. Also, when opening a directory with large numbers of files Nautilus would invariably take several seconds to display, which gets _very_ aggrevating after a few minutes. Konqueror instantly displays everything and has logical, useful display modes.

Side note: I understand that Nautilus is just the default file manager for Gnome, not the DE itself. It's just that, as a user, the first thing I do when I log in is open up the file manager, so the default is an important part of the overall deal.

I've never understood all the fuss about KDE's "bloat" either. The only thing that takes more than a fraction of a second is the initial login. After that everything responds almost instantly (and I've got three year old computer hardware.)

Different strokes for different folks, right?

Right. Bring on the flames, I'm ready.

Associate
    *grins*
    At the moment my fav is tty1

*is bored with GUI and goes back to nethack*
    Ahh.. Reminds me of when i was 20... *laughs*
    Openbox is also nice....
    Ayway.. Enlghtenment is really great for showing off Linux...
    Turn on al the eye-candy and show that one off...
    *grins*
    Made a few linux users that way......
    In a world without barriers and fences, who wants Windows and Gates?

KDE and Gnome have been the only ones i've really played with. I agree with kungfuramone9, I dont like the Nautilis file manager :|