Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Flame-war Warning! ] Which WM / DTE do you use??

[Flame-war Warning! ] Which WM / DTE do you use??

Okay, I know that I am tempting fate with this one, but any linux form that is worth its salt has one; and we're already half-way there with the screen shots gallery.

So, which window manager do you use? I have KDE 3.2, and fluxbox on my desktop, I have used GNOME but I didn't really take to it in a big way, and I use fluxbox on my laptop to keep things fast - which I really love but I still need to get the icons working right!!

Also, if you have any great links to themes and wallpapers (not the obvious ones like the bob-standard kde & gnome site) post them so that the rest of us can have a gander!!

Jamie

gnome.

Dropline gnome.

we should probably clarify what a window manager is vs a desktop environment, a window manager just handles some of the extensions and processes of displaying objects on a desktop ie windows, a desktop environment ie gnome/kde provide integrated services such as wallpapers, icons, panels ect ect, wm's are part of a desktop environment for example gnome uses metacity as its wm but that can be changed to any wm you like such as waimea,openbox list goes on

now that my rant is out of the way, ill start the second one, I HATE KDE!!! its total crap, if you cant see that by using and fighting it, then i dont need to bother to point it out cause your blind (no offense you uber KDE zealots :P )i do prefer a nice light wm such as waimea(and the now dead kahakai BOOO!!), and openbox, i usually use one of those if i run X, but i only run X on one machine, so cli is still my favorite wm :twisted: :P

as far as gnome goes, i usually have it installed since i use the applications from it, and its nice for guests to have a comfortable environment they are familiar with, i refuse to install any application coded in QT, and i dont plan on changing that any time soon

/end rant

dkeav

Sorry - I dodn't mean to forget the differences between WM & DTE's. My-bad !!!

I know that a lot of people dislike (a lot!!) KDE - but It's what my girlfriend likes so I have it on there. Also, I don't think that it's too bad ops:

I understand all of the arguments, and I totally agree that the massive coding efforts that go into GNOME and KDE would be better combined to provide one excellent DTE for Windows-converts and those who like the more GUI-feel of the config.

As I said before I much prefer Fluxbox for my desk top over and massively heavy DTE, especially on my laptop wherre resources are tight! And there are many great DTE/WM that are inbetween the two which give you the best of both worlds.

I suppose that the who thing about the Open Source philosophy is choice - people can use what they feel is best for them!

Jamie

thats where i dont agree, the focus of linux should not be to convert ppl from windows, because those people dont want linux, they just want windows minus the bugs and downsides and they want it for free, most dont want to switch, they dont want to learn ect ect, the original focus of the linux movement should not be changed to occomodate the chance to make a lil money off of other peoples work, but unfortunatly, i seem to be the only one who thinks this way or willing to speak up about it, and i see that focus as what will ruin linux for the *ix community, that is probably the biggest factor of why i use and support BSD

I understand your point completely - I don't think that Linux *should* be for Windows converts but those are the people that are coming accross from windows!

I still haven't got around to installing BSD or even getting involved in the BSD movement - not that I'm expecting it to be any different from the Linux movement!

I think that a lot of people see linux as an alternative to Windows, which on one hand is really excellent as people are learning about Linux and that there are other option out there that are just as suitable for most situations other than windows. I have always believed that Linux and the entire philosophy which surrounds it is about choice - no-matter which application you are needing there are a plethora of different choices - each has it's different pros and cons.

I also completely agree that Linux and the OSS movement shouldn't be used as a cash-cow to make money off the communities work for a few small companies. Linux is not about making money, and it is certainly not about providing a bug-free-windows to those which are fed-up!

Just my thoughts anyway!

Jamie

PS: I have changed the title to include Desk-top environments as well as Window managers

J

:P

+1 Vote for KDE, but dont discredit Enlightenment, I cant wait for E0.17

Associate
    I mix between kde.3.2.0 and Blackbox.

Kde for my windows using friends and GF and Blackbox for me
    Or Enlightenment just to show off for the windows users
    *evil grin*
    In a world without barriers and fences, who wants Windows and Gates?