Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Slackware 8.1
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slackware 8.1

Slackware 8.1

It's been released.

Re:Slackware 8.1

w000t!

Just installed it, posting from it now via mozillia. Its awesome, just as I expected. I must sleep now.

Good Guru

Hmm,

must download....... must buy another computer to run it ......

yeeeeeaaaahhhhh,buddy!

Ok, I'm gonna install Slack 8.1. Slackware 8.0 has been such an awesome OS, I haven't had to do this for a LONG time. Hope I can remember how ...

All installed and rocking along - comes with kernel 2.4.18 and KDE 3.0.1 and Mozilla 1.0

Well, after trying to install 8.1 on my PC that has an onboard NIC (ECS mobo) that the installer could not recognize, and then trying to boot the system to configure the NIC manually, I have decided that Slack is not for me. The boot process hung so badly I couldn't even ctrl-alt-delete out of it.

I suppose I could have installed one of my spare LinkSys NICs to avoid the onboard NIC problem, but that would have been counter-productive.

Too bad, because it might have been interesting to fool around with Slack.

I installed Slack 8.1 on my laptop last week & its working really well so far. My PCMCIA network card & the dodgy onboard sound both worked with no problems. The only thing I had to tweak was the power managment support.

The only software problem I have had is that the kicker seems to crash when I change its settings, not really a big deal.

Overall I am impressed, it was easy to install & setup was hassle free. It even runs KDE3 at an acceptable speed on my ageing celeron based laptop.

Regards

ed

I've switched back to Slack from Gentoo on my main box - had been running Slack for a couple of years before that, but my drive died, so I tried Gentoo while patiently waiting for -current to finalize.

So now it is back on both my main box (dual 450, gobs of ram, GF2 card, etc.) but also on my laptop - a 486sx33 with 12 mb ram.

8) Slackware 8)