Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Gonna try Gentoo

Thread: Gonna try Gentoo

Gonna try Gentoo

I'm gonna try Gentoo as soon as I get the chance. I don't have a bootable CDROM drive, so I'm going to have to do it the chroot way. Is there anything I should watch out for? I've done LFS quite a few times, so I think this should be fairly easy. Is it as good as everybody says it is?

Good Guru

Re:Gonna try Gentoo

Gentoo is great if you have the following:

A) A fast CPU for compilation
    B) Time to spend to get the base system built
    C) Have a nice broadband conection

I ditched it due to A and B, and the dwindling amount of free time to spend doing emerges. IT is stable, and great (well, since it is about as close to LFS as you can get), and definitely customizeabe to anyones' needs.

If you got the time, go for it. IIRC you have done alot of LFS, so it should be similar in respects to that.

[edit -- typo]

You'll fit right into the userbase Feztaa..

Heh. I wish I had more time in the day

Good Guru

I had the luxury of being able to ssh into my lan from work

Its nice -- setup ports 10000-10006 to forward to my LAN's PC's and I could do whtever ssh allowed me to do. I even recompiled a kernel and installed it over ssh, so when I got home the SOB was upgraded (and fixed).

The things that I take for granted in the UNIX world.... I just wish I could do that with Winders ;D

just use the install guide for the install you need to do and you'll fair fine. If you have any troubles answers are easily found in the documentation, through a search of their forum, or on #gentoo.