Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

You can help reverse the UCITA today - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: You can help reverse the UCITA today

Re:You can help reverse the UCITA today

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=13;threadid=4319;start=0#42899 date=1027608376]that would be a first
    and the fact that it would be the first time is exactly the reason why i treat u this way[/quote]

I find it funny that the hints I've written for lfs, and the other various scripts and things don't count as helping anybody.

See, I generally help those than can help themselves, mostly because I'm too lazy to explain the very, very basics.

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=13;threadid=4319;start=0#42900 date=1027608659]
    I find it funny that the hints I've written for lfs, and the other various scripts and things don't count as helping anybody.
    [/quote]
    what? the hint u ripped off from Lovechild?

See, I generally help those than can help themselves, mostly because I'm too lazy to explain the very, very basics.
    then why are u on a linux newbie board?

Good Guru

Who's winning?

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=4319;start=0#42918 date=1027613609]Who's winning?[/quote]

I'd probably say I am, because I think I'm probably less upset than ralinx.

Anyway, Ralinx, whatever you say guy. I have better things to do than worry about people who don't.

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=13;threadid=4319;start=0#42968 date=1027621358]
    I'd probably say I am, because I think I'm probably less upset than ralinx.
    [/quote]
    what makes u think i'm upset? i just don't like u... never have, never will. doesn't have anything to do with being upset

Anyway, Ralinx, whatever you say guy. I have better things to do than worry about people who don't.
    people who don't?
    so basically i'm a person who doesn't because i don't write hints for the LFS users? the LFS users have lot's of experience, they know how to read documentation and get things done. most of them don't need hints to do whatever it is the hint is about. unless it's about compiling OpenOffice or Java SDK or stuff like that which isn't really a smooth ride. What are ur hints about and why are they necessary?
    let's have a look shall we:

the installwatch hint: basically a rip off from Lovechild's PET and most LFS'ers don't even use it as they prefer to use find to check for timestamps to create installationlogs

the linuxlogo hint: how to get a logo to display at boottime. apart from the bootscript there's really not much in there that isn't in the documentation that was provided now is it? i also wonder how many people actually use this. basically, any LFS user could do this himself without help.

the fcron hint: well, this just seems to come down to adding a user and a group for fcron, running configure, make and make install and writing a bootscript for it. i haven't looked at the documentation that comes with fcron but i'm pretty sure that stuff is mentioned in there, and writing a bootscript for it is again something that every LFS user is able to do.

so that's 3 hints, one of which was basically copied from Lovechild's PET so i'm gonna count 2.5 hints. all 3 of them aren't really that usefull since the level of difficulty is about the same as tying ur shoelaces, and let's also keep in mind that LFS users are experienced linux users who know how to get stuff working themselves. So for this i will deduct another half point so ur down to 2 right now.

i have submitted 2 PET's, both of which were aimed at newbies being able to compile stuff (KDE and Mozilla). The instructions in those PET's all come from the documentation that is available online for each of the 2 projects, however newbies sometimes have difficulties understanding that (hence the concept of PLAIN ENGLISH Tutorials) or even bothering to check the documentation in the first place. considering the responses i got for both PET's i'd say they were succesfull. let's say that for some reason they are worth only 1.5 points on this imaginary scale i'm using to see if i really am a person that 'doesn't'.

so now the score is 2 - 1.5, in favor of u
    now, let's keep in mind that i actually help people out on this board whenever i can. i'm gonna add .5 to my total for that. u however, just tell people to RTFM. but to be generous i won't deduct any points for that.

so now basically the score is evened at 2 even though the LFS'ers are smart enough to figure the stuff u provide 'help' on by themselves. newbies however ask for help so they do need help.

i really didn't wanna post stupid shit like this, but feztaa u should know that if ur gonna make a stupid remark like that that i will respond.

Good Guru

We need a forum for Wars!

[quote author=Schotty link=board=13;threadid=4319;start=0#43002 date=1027633292]
    We need a forum for Wars!
    [/quote]

it seems that way my friend...

look at the news people!!

Whoah! Look whats happened. I am a regular google user but because the UCITA seemed extremely new to me, I didn't even bother thinking of searching for it. It doesn't help when its 11pm on a Thursday school night either.

Might have been more helpful if you said "There is a summary here: <pasteurlhere> that I found using google with keyword x"

Well, thats my $0.02

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=13;threadid=4319;start=0#42897 date=1027608056]
    "Google is your friend" is my way of saying "I don't understand it as well as you think, google showed me some promising results that I didn't have time to read, you might have some luck with it."
    [/quote]

Then say "I don't understand it as well as you think, google showed me some promising results that I didn't have time to read, you might have some luck with it" instead of the RTFM'ish "Google is your friend." What's so hard about it?

Geez guys, read about the UCITA and how it's evil. In a nutshell it makes open source software against the law in the US.