Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Microsoft SMS

Microsoft SMS

my school is going with Microsoft SMS for remote admin'ing. is there any way for me to interface with this thru linux?

thanks!

Re:Microsoft SMS

I've never even heard of SMS ???

yea Systems Management Server. like backoriface but costs money.
    i haven't used it yet. but it's being installed. i'm gonna play with the windows client tomorrow and see what i find out. not even sure if it's VNC like or what.

[quote author=gorn link=board=4;threadid=4318;start=0#42824 date=1027568996]yea Systems Management Server. like backoriface but costs money.[/quote]

ROFL. I thought you were talking about that thing that lets ICQ people send messages to cell phones (that's SMS, right?)

AFAIK, SMS is primarily used to roll out software packages across a NT enterprise. Its a pretty great system if you have a lot of clients to upgrade, patch, etc. There are some remote troubleshooting tools in it also, and the ability to better inventory your software and hardware. Really with Win2k AD and XP remote assistance, I can't see the purpose of SMS, though I'm sure it must have one.

Question: why would you want to interface it with Linux? What would be the purpose?

[quote author=tolstoy link=board=4;threadid=4318;start=0#43011 date=1027637067]Question: why would you want to interface it with Linux? What would be the purpose?
    [/quote]
    first off thanks for the info. ;D
    to answer the question, because i'd rather use my linux box than a windows box at. i'd want to be able to connect to the other stations from linux, not have it remote admin'ed. also the boxen we have are windows 98. we have 2k for some servers though.

thanks again

[quote author=gorn link=board=4;threadid=4318;start=0#43052 date=1027655545]
    [quote author=tolstoy link=board=4;threadid=4318;start=0#43011 date=1027637067]Question: why would you want to interface it with Linux? What would be the purpose?
    [/quote]
    first off thanks for the info. ;D
    to answer the question, because i'd rather use my linux box than a windows box at. i'd want to be able to connect to the other stations from linux, not have it remote admin'ed. also the boxen we have are windows 98. we have 2k for some servers though.

thanks again
    [/quote]

Having an SMS on your LAN should not affect your Linux box at all, unless of course the school wants you to get rid of it because they cannot admin it. On a LAN with primarily Win 98 clients, SMS makes sense.

[quote author=gorn link=board=4;threadid=4318;start=0#42784 date=1027547426]
    my school is going with Microsoft SMS for remote admin'ing. is there any way for me to interface with this thru linux?

thanks!
    [/quote]

To my knowledge there is no Linux version of SMS.

My last place of employment used SMS to administer 500 pc's. It was problematic and would cause many of the PC's to lock-up.

Great idea but poorly implemented by Bill and crew.

When you're remote controlling a machine, run Task Manager, and have a look at which process is using how much CPU Usage. It shouldn't be hard to spot the one I'm talking about: it's the one with "93" below the "CPU Usage" column ;D

Associate

SMS doesn't interface with linux or unix at all. I implmented it a while ago and the only good thing to come out of SMS and linux or unix is being able to extract hw & sw info on the boxes, and you'd have to have a 3rd party product like Altiris unix inventory to do this. provide the tar that can be pushed to the box, then run a cron to have the information sent up to the SMS database, which is usually MS Sql. There are no other bonuses.