Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Fresh install: what distro?

Thread: Fresh install: what distro?

jasonjwebman

Fresh install: what distro?

??? hey guys, ok i have a question that i would like some experienced veterans to tackle. I just got a copy of win xp pro that i want to install on my pc. i have been using redhat 7.3 and winme, i hate ME so bad and want it off my system but i need a win partition for certain things, so i am going with xp pro. my ? is, what distro should i install next to dual boot with xp. i have slackware and debian both sitting here staring at me, wanting me to try them both. which one would be better for learning experience and least hassle to configure. i like redhat but dont want to be boxed up in it and not know what else is out there for me. i have heard that slackware is awesome but a pain to configure and that debian is great. anything i should know before i do this install. any help greatly appreciated. cant seem to find any info that will help me online. thanks guys

Re:Fresh install: what distro?

take a look in the distro wars, off topic and general discussion boards, they have a whole lot of posts on distro choices.

one thing to look out for is linux cannot write to ntfs, so you might look at making a fat partition as well, or installing xp on a fat one
    whatdoyougetwhenyoumultiplysixbynine??

JimH

Re:Fresh install: what distro?

Quote Originally Posted by jasonjwebman
    I just got a copy of win xp pro that i want to install on my pc.
    No comment. :

i have been using redhat 7.3 and winme, i hate ME so bad and want it off my system but i need a win partition for certain things, so i am going with xp pro. my ? is, what distro should i install next to dual boot with xp.
    AFAIK any Linux distro will dual boot with WinXP.

Jim H