Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cable descrambler - suggestions?

Cable descrambler - suggestions?

Just went on e-gay, and did a search for 'cable descrambler' to see what's out on the market these days ... a few more than there were a few years back, some of which are new to me.

So, the question is, which is the best? ... and of course:

[tt]purchase of this product will comply with all local, state, and federal laws regarding the ownership of cable TV equipment[/tt]

... so, can i get some feedback on this one please? A few specifics bout my locale, i live in the States (Chicago area) and have AT&T as the primary cable provider in the area. Digital Cable is available, but not the only option.

Re:Cable descrambler - suggestions?

why not try a software descrambler and get a TV-card for ur computer?

i personally don't have a tv card and never experimented with descramblers, but i know it's possible using software.

Find out the kind of cable system they have. I can warn you know that sometimes it takes a little programming to get them to work (like directtv stuff).

Good Guru

I have been bugging a dude I know that built off an ATI card, a full descrambler. IT works. He was recording some Spice channel shit to vcd. Not legal in any means -- but dammit I WANT ONE!!!

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=14;threadid=4306;start=0#42604 date=1027459859]
    why not try a software descrambler and get a TV-card for ur computer?

i personally don't have a tv card and never experimented with descramblers, but i know it's possible using software.
    [/quote]

Wow, never thought bout doing it that way ... I think i'm gonna opt for the easy way out though and just buy a box though ;D

BTW, don't happen to have any linkies that you can pass my way on the topic, do ya?

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=14;threadid=4306;start=0#42606 date=1027460575]
    Find out the kind of cable system they have. I can warn you know that sometimes it takes a little programming to get them to work (like directtv stuff).
    [/quote]

I'm a little confused by how to find out what type of cable system the provider will have. Maybe I should just call them up and ask ... otherwise, how else can i find out?

[quote author=Schotty link=board=14;threadid=4306;start=0#42621 date=1027463294]
    I have been bugging a dude I know that built off an ATI card, a full descrambler. IT works. He was recording some Spice channel shit to vcd. Not legal in any means -- but dammit I WANT ONE!!!
    [/quote]

8) Well now, i just threw in the legal disclaimer to make sure no one here gets upset at my *motives* ... now, any chance you can get your boy to write a PET on how to do this? ;D

Good Guru

The guys an EET, like me. He just knows his shit about cable decoding and reverse engineered a bit of the tv tuenr card to add a daughtercard onto it. He is being a dick right now and teasing me with it. I just dont have the time to do the research to do what he did. He at least knows his shit -- I dont have a clue as to how cable feeds are fed into the box. Much less protecting the card from a nuke signal (the signal that toasts illegal boxes and the TV's -- yeah, nasty)

I just dont have the time to do the research to do what he did. He at least knows his shit -- I dont have a clue as to how cable feeds are fed into the box. Much less protecting the card from a nuke signal (the signal that toasts illegal boxes and the TV's -- yeah, nasty)
    Hmm ... I knew my electrical engineering degree would come in handy sometime ;D ... protecting the 'nuke signal' wouldn't be that hard, its just the coding part that sorta baffles me (assembly is NOT my cup of tea) ... if you could get some info on how he did it, I'd be more than willing to pitch in and help you replicate what he did

Good Guru

Basically, IIRC form what I saw (and it wasnt a long look) he piped the input signal to the new circuit, and returned it back in there. The daughter card had the fuse and such that pops when the kill signal arrives. He came up with some way to integrate it that way. I am as mentioned before -- a class A moron when it comes to CATV. And not using any of my skills (sans troubleshooting and radio tuning skills) for almost 3 years now.

If you end up desingning a circuit, Ill pay you for the schematics.