Thread: Boot disk

Boot disk

Because my browser doesnt render the dual boot win2k PET. I used the one at techmio, regardless here is the problem I have had. Installed win2k, installed slackware, made TWO boot disks for slack. Low and behold niether are bootable---damn foppies anyway > .

Is there any way to make a bootable floppy just from the install CD?

Oh I'v tried >>> linux boot=/dev/hda8

Nada

If anyone has any thoughts I would appreciate it, thanks.

Oh BTW before i get the RTFM, I did read the PET regarding unbootable linux.

Thanks again

Good Guru

Re:Boot disk

Well, assuming that you are using LILO, here is what you can do. Boot off of the CDROM for slack. Once it loads up, you get to a login. Login as root. mount your root and boot partions (assuming that they are separate -- I personally like it that way.)

mkdir /mnt/linux
    mkdir /mnt/linux/boot
    mount -t ext2 /dev/hda2 /mnt/linux/boot
    mount -t ext2 /dev/hda3 /mnt/linux

that is how mine would look should I dual boot (I dont but thats beside the point I suppose...)

now do a
    chroot /mnt/linux
    lilo

that should reinstall lilo. If you get any errors, it should say. If you dont get an error, eacho bootable partition should show up. if you see just linux, you want to edit /etc/lilo.conf to include the partition that includes Win2K.

As for just making floppies -- I dunno. May be able to skip up in the setup and go straight to it. I do know that skipping straight to lilo's setup is not allowed. I don't know exactly why on that one. You should be able though, to get into slack and get most of this done just fine. I do know that RedHat is very simple, and thats what I have got addicted to as of late. But I had used slack quite a bit, and in fact started using slack back when I first got into linux.

You can download any of the assorted bootdisks from your favorite Slack ftp. They might also be on the Slack cd. You can use rawrite to write them to a floppy in Windows.

Good Guru

I actually tried that yesterday evening (about 4:30 pm central) and every mirror was bogged down horribly. I biffed a Slack install. Lilo got fudged up. I just didnt have my CDROM on me (I do today!!) and figured a set of boot/root disks could help. I just figured, IF he has the CD, boot off of that. Its faster more than likely.