Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New programming lang to jump into.

Re:New programming lang to jump into.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=9;threadid=4304;start=0#42620 date=1027463140]
    For simple frontends what do y'all have to say?
    [/quote]

QT with C++
    beautiful way of programming, and fully OO

[quote author=Schotty link=board=9;threadid=4304;start=0#42629 date=1027464721]
    Good point. Is O'Caml, cross platform? I was hoping to perhaps get a cross platformer in. That would be godlike.
    [/quote]

O'Caml has ports for Unix (Linux, *BSD and Solaris and maybe others), Windows and MacOS, but it is definitly more advanced on Unix (though Windows port is catching up). It features a byte-compiler to make code cross-platform or a native-code compiler which makes VERY fast executables. You have TK, GTK, OpenGL, MySQL and other bindings. There's a nice Unix library too.

If you're not looking for a job, O'Caml can be an interesting choice. Else, Perl, Java and Python wouold be better choices.

Good Guru

I splurged and went to Barnes and Nobles last eve, with the intentions of going apeshit on Qt, Perl, and Ruby. However that whole Idea went south as I bought merely some MySQL and Ruby. Their selection was worse than lame -- new barnes tonight I will piss $200 away .... 1/2 way there

Thanks for the tips on what to think about. I am gonna start hackin some ruby code today. I will probably print out some docs on OCaml as well.

don't buy a book on QT
    it's all here: http://doc.trolltech.com/3.0/

Good Guru

Why thank you sir!

I shall print that bugger off shortly then. I like using my evil company's resources ;D Mwha ha ha!

If you want a cross platform toolkit that's free on all platforms (Qt is only free for X11, i.e. Unix and its clones), check out wxWindows. It's a rather nice toolkit that uses the native widget sets for each platform it's ported to. Qt only emulates native widgets. It does not actually use them.

I, like GnuVince, will encourage you to learn some functional programming language (and no, this is not the same as procedural programming language such as C/C++, even though they do have functions), such as OCaml, LISP, Scheme, etc.

Also, while C# is from the Evil Empire, it's not an evil language. Don't be afraid of it. In a way, it's better than Java because it's already been submitted and approved by a standards committee (specifically, the ECMA), which is something Sun never did. Also, it is much better suited for UI design than Java. Definitely check out Mono, which includes a C# compiler, the CLI runtime, and other things related to the .NET Framework. It's certainly a different development style that's quite interesting.

sans: F# is more interesting that C# IMO

Good Guru

[quote author=sans link=board=9;threadid=4304;start=0#42747 date=1027533956]
    If you want a cross platform toolkit that's free on all platforms (Qt is only free for X11, i.e. Unix and its clones), check out wxWindows. It's a rather nice toolkit that uses the native widget sets for each platform it's ported to. Qt only emulates native widgets. It does not actually use them.
    [/quote]

I must say that one slipped my mind I heard alot about it (almost all comments were very good impressions). I would like a book format if possible for now. I have been bussing around lately (no car sucks) and need something better than just listening to MP3 to use my time up. However, I do have plans to print up the prgramming guides.

IIRC Qt has a free Win32 (although not a major selling point, as GTK is on win32 as well) for educational, non commercial use.

My plans right now are:

1) Figure out Ruby
    2) Figure out some more C++
    3) Definitly do alot of Java (IMHO better than C# simply because I know it will stay cross platform, and I need that)
    4) Dive into O'Caml. I keep hearing alot about it and I cant resist.
    5) Brush up on perl and relearn my python.

I shall be a programmer once again!

I will say that I like the APIs of both Qt and wxWindows. I do find Qt easier to work with since Qt Designer is a very well made product (there is nothing like it for wxWindows, yet.) Some people don't like the idea of signals and slots, but I don't think they are any worse than the way wxWindows handles events and event tables. They both make extensive use of the preprocessor, so neither is really 100% C++.

This much I am sure of, both are a lot more intuitive than MFC. I haven't looked at GTK-- yet, so I can't make a comparison to that one.

[quote author=sans link=board=9;threadid=4304;start=0#42762 date=1027541715]
    Some people don't like the idea of signals and slots, but I don't think they are any worse than the way wxWindows handles events and event tables.
    [/quote]

i think the signals/slots mechanism is fantastic. it's beautfiful