Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Perl: Oposite of require

Hybrid View

Perl: Oposite of require

Anyone know how to un-require libraries in perl? Like remove them during run time in favor of other libraries if the usre so chooses? ???

Re:Perl: Oposite of require

Basically module swapping.

Instead of loading one then asking if the user wants to switch, how about just asking the user which one he wants, then loading it?

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=9;threadid=4291;start=0#42840 date=1027580129]
    Instead of loading one then asking if the user wants to switch, how about just asking the user which one he wants, then loading it?
    [/quote]

Thats what I am doing at the present time, and I guess it makes sense since people use 1 package manager (why would someone be switching between all the package managers on the same OS!).

Well, my perl reference book doesn't mention anything about being able to unrequire stuff, so I guess you can't.

What is it that you're requiring? Self-written definitions for how to use different package managers, or some external perl modules that you've found?

If they're self written, you could probably duplicate all the files and change them so that they undo whatever the original copy did. IOW, you could have "require aptget;" for using apt-get, and then "require unaptget;" to undo whatever "require aptget;" did.

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=9;threadid=4291;start=0#42963 date=1027620157]
    If they're self written, you could probably duplicate all the files and change them so that they undo whatever the original copy did. IOW, you could have "require aptget;" for using apt-get, and then "require unaptget;" to undo whatever "require aptget;" did.
    [/quote]

They are home made modules (yummm). Thats not a bad idea, but how would I go about writing a removing function like that. It seems like a catch22 since requiring an un-packagesys would have the same problems as just trying to load another module over it. :-\

Well no, you just make an unaptget module that undoes whatever the aptget module does.

What do these modules, do, anyway? Do they just define some functions and set some variables? If so, this would be really easy. The aptget module could define the variable $packagesys to be "apt-get", and define the function "install" to install a package with apt-get. Then the unaptget module would define the variable $packagesys to be "none", and undefine the function. Actually, you probably wouldn't need an undo module for each other module, you could probably get away with a single "nopackagesys" module that does it, or something.

How do I undefinc the function? Thats exactly what I need :-P.

Use undef. Function names are prefixed with &.

Code:
    sub foo
    {
      print "foo\n";
    }

foo();

undef &foo;

# Function 'foo' is no longer defined

foo();

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=9;threadid=4291;start=0#43928 date=1028080851]
    Code:
    sub foo
    {
      print "foo\n";
    }

foo();

undef &foo;

# Function 'foo' is no longer defined

foo();
    [/quote]

Of course! Why didn't I think of that! :P thanks!