Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Kernel/System Programming

Thread: Kernel/System Programming

Kernel/System Programming

Hey guys,

I've been interested for a long time now in learning kernel programming/systems programming but have fond things (like kernelnewbies.org) lacking in begining content other than download a old crappy kernel and read the buggy code. I also looked at picking up "Design and Implementation of the 4.4 BSD OS" but I've read that it is not a good book to learn from ... it's more of a refrence book. I also looked into "Linux Core Kernel Documentry" but wasn't sure if it actually explains itself well enough to learn from.

Any help would be great as I really want to start getting into it!

Re:Kernel/System Programming

hi ash,
    linux device drivers is not bad at all - it goes inot the kernel, not just modules.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=9;threadid=4290;start=0#42458 date=1027396842]
    hi ash,
    linux device drivers is not bad at all - it goes inot the kernel, not just modules.
    [/quote]

What kernel does it teach off of?

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=9;threadid=4290;start=0#42566 date=1027447878]
    [quote author=pbharris link=board=9;threadid=4290;start=0#42458 date=1027396842]
    hi ash,
    [/quote]

What kernel does it teach off of?
    [/quote]

the latest release is kernel 2.4

Have a browse here...

http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/

I found it to be a good book even though I am a bit of a monkey when it comes to coding stuff.

Regards

ed

[quote author=SpookyEddy link=board=9;threadid=4290;start=0#42570 date=1027448601]
    Have a browse here...

http://www.xml.com/ldd/chapter/book/

I found it to be a good book even though I am a bit of a monkey when it comes to coding stuff.

Regards

ed
    [/quote]

Is that the whole book ???

i think ur best shot is to get on irc, go to the kernelnewbies channel and ask around there what the best way is to get into kernel hacking.

as usual with open source projects, the documentation for developers wanting to get started is often outdated.. this is a really big problem IMO