Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Samba

Thread: Samba

Samba

Ok, my box here at work with Gentoo 1.2 is up and running so it's time to make it usefull to others.
    First I wanted to install Samba...but right now I'm not satisfied with the result.

We have a W2K domain and I want this samba server to have a directory for everyone to read/write ... I managed this with a guest account (map to guest = Bad User --> because I don't want the login window to pop-up)

My smb.conf currently looks like this:

[tt]
    [global]
    workgroup = ANECON
    server string = Samba Server %v
    encrypt passwords = Yes
    map to guest = Bad User
    log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
    max log size = 50
    socket options = TCP_NODELAY SO_RCVBUF=8192 SO_SNDBUF=8192
    dns proxy = No

[stuff]
    path = /stuff
    read only = No
    guest only = Yes
    guest ok = Yes
    [/tt]

What I want to accomplish (in that order):
    1. I don't want to pop-up any login-windows. Is it possible that samba accepts the W2K username+password that is automatically sent by any W2K client?
    2. One or more directories for everyone to read and write (again without the login-window)
    3. Maybe a home directory for every user where only the user can read and write. If possible again without the login window.

The smb.conf that I posted was generated by SWAT...

Is there a GOOD pet/how-to/article about samba? So far I haven't found good and in-depth explanations of the options I can configure with samba.

What do you think about O'Reillys "Using Samba" book? Is the only version equal to the hardcover?
    http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/samba...ook/index.html

Re:Samba

hello,
    The book should be a good one and yea you will find many basic how-to's but i would guess this one is a more advanced question, why i am not sure because winodws machines for me just use thier passwords and user names like you mentioned and they get access likeyou mentioned

here is my smb.conf
    Code:
    # Global parameters
            workgroup = HARRIS
            server string = Samba Server
            security = USER
            log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
            max log size = 50
            socket options = TCP_NODELAY
            dns proxy = No
            guest account = guest
            print command = lpr -r -P%p %s
            lpq command = lpq -P%p
            lprm command = lprm -P%p %j
            encrypt passwords = yes

[homes]
            comment = Home Directories
            path = /home
            writeable = yes

[printers]
            comment = All Printers
            path = /var/spool/samba
            print ok = Yes
            browseable = No

[tmp]
            comment = Temporary stuff
            path = /tmp
            guest ok = Yes

[lp]
            comment = Printer
            path = /var/spool/samba
            read only = No
            guest ok = Yes
            print ok = Yes
            printer name = lp
            oplocks = No
            share modes = No

thnx...I'm currently reading the OReilly books..seems like a good book - the only downside: it's written for the 2.0 version.

Btw: On the samba page I found this as a to-do for version 3.0
    [tt]Support to act as a server in a native Active Directory domain[/tt]j

The thing is that we have a native W2K domain ... is it still possible for my samba server to work in our domain with the domain username+pw of the users?

Btw2: pbharris, do you have your users in the smbpasswd and in the passwd file?

yea! i do a smbadder user:user where both are the same on the linux box and the windows box.

Advisor

Or you can set your samba to verify the username/pċassword up against the windows domain server.
    security = server
    password server = Windows_domain_server

[quote author=redhead link=board=1;threadid=4283;start=0#42510 date=1027439639]
    Or you can set your samba to verify the username/pċassword up against the windows domain server.
    security = server
    password server = Windows_domain_server
    [/quote]

Thnx. But I would still need the user accounts in the /etc/passwd file, wouldn't I?

Good Guru

yes, but you can make the samba only users have no real access on your samba server by giving them a /dev/null shell. If that is a concern, of course.