Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Help me with KDE

Thread: Help me with KDE

Help me with KDE

I've decided to give KDE another shot as my desktop environment but there is one thing stopping me, apt-get install kdebase installs all the needed 3.0.2 packages but it doesn't work. Here is an example error ....

Code:
    ash@nwsupplies:~$ konqueror 
    Xlib:  extension "GLX" missing on display ":0.0".
    DCOPServer up and running.
    KCrash: crashing.... crashRecursionCounter = 2
    KCrash: Application Name = konqueror path = <unknown> pid = 2391
    ash@nwsupplies:~$ Mutex destroy failure: Device or resource busy
    kdeinit: Fatal IO error: client killed
    kdeinit: sending SIGHUP to children.
    kdeinit: sending SIGTERM to children.
    kdeinit: Exit.
    If I try to start KDE via GDM or CLI it just keeps flashing the screen.

Re:Help me with KDE

are you using a nVidia cards, becasue it looks like X foobared the GLX modules during the upgrade.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=6;threadid=4236;start=0#41828 date=1026967765]
    apt-get
    [/quote]

there's your problem
    compile from source and it'll work

I installed kde3 on my second machine the other day (in case it went horribly wrong). I just did a dist-upgrade to sid, added the kde3 source & then grabbed kdebase via apt.... no problems (I didn't have any kde installed before).

Are you running sid or woody?

Do you have the following line in your XF86Config?

Code:
    Load       "glx"
    Regards

ed

Are you running sid or woody?
    Sid

are you using a nVidia cards, becasue it looks like X foobared the GLX modules during the upgrade.
    ATI Radeon 7200 ... does KDE need glx to work? ???

[quote author=SpookyEddy link=board=6;threadid=4236;start=0#41849 date=1026991175]
    I installed kde3 on my second machine the other day (in case it went horribly wrong). I just did a dist-upgrade to sid, added the kde3 source & then grabbed kdebase via apt.... no problems (I didn't have any kde installed before).

[/quote]

What apt source did you use?

I also checked my XF86Config-4 & I don't even load glx so I guess thats not the problem.

Good luck

ed

Ok, I am using that apt source and everything installed fine but now it's complainig about a dcop server not being able to communicate.

Do other WM/DE's load alright? If they don't, you might give xf86config/xf86cfg/whatever it's called nowadays a shot to reconfigure X. Keep at it though...KDE 3 is VERY impressive.

[quote author=Tyr_7BE link=board=6;threadid=4236;start=0#42282 date=1027273299]
    Do other WM/DE's load alright? If they don't, you might give xf86config/xf86cfg/whatever it's called nowadays a shot to reconfigure X. Keep at it though...KDE 3 is VERY impressive.
    [/quote]

Yeah, Gnome 2, blackbox, Window Maker, and Enlightenment all work fine.