Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Kernel compile problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kernel compile problems

Kernel compile problems

I've been trying to compile kernel since yesterday, adn I keep having the same problems. First, X won't start after compiling, because it can't find the mouse module it seemsI made sure I included mouse support on the compilation...
    Second, I never get the frambuffer to work quite right. The out-of-box kernel works great for frambuffer, and i get a great resolution on the CLI. But after I compile, even though I add all the frambuffer stuff, I get a horrible resolution.
    I am using Slackware 8.1. I have a Radeon QD. Also a PS/2 mouse with a wheel. I am getting this error when using 2.4.18 rc2/rc3. This is my dmesg file: http://psychen6.homestead.com/files/message.txt
    This is my kernel configuration: http://psychen6.homestead.com/files/test1.txt

Re:Kernel compile problems

did you try xf86config? you go through it and answer a few questions, and it configures x for you..dunno if this helps, but i thought it might.
    -CJ

hello,
    from your kernel config i see you have mouse suppurt linked staticly in your kernel, there will be no module to load. i am guessing this is the same issue with the frame buffer support. i would try linking them in as modules rather than staticaly.

[quote author=cj171 link=board=1;threadid=4267;start=0#42208 date=1027217558]
    did you try xf86config? you go through it and answer a few questions, and it configures x for you..dunno if this helps, but i thought it might.
    -CJ
    [/quote]
    I tried that already, and also configuring the file manually. Thanks, though.

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=4267;start=0#42213 date=1027219385]
    hello,
    from your kernel config i see you have mouse suppurt linked staticly in your kernel, there will be no module to load. i am guessing this is the same issue with the frame buffer support. i would try linking them in as modules rather than staticaly.
    [/quote]
    That sounds like a good idea. Where do I tell it to load the frambuffer driver at boot time?

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=4267;start=0#42213 date=1027219385]
    hello,
    [/quote]

shouldn't make a difference
    if the kernel already has the necessary support loaded inside the kernel it shouldn't matter that the modules can't be loaded because the kernel won't even try to load them because the necessary code is already running in the kernel

yea - i know it should not make a difference, but there have been a few modules that worked as modules for me but not linked in - that was for a sound and USB module i was playing with in an early 2.4 kernel - i am not saying this is the problem but i would give it a shot anyway.

the frame-buffer support is under the console driver - Frame-buffer support

i am not sure if kerneld will load it when needed or if you will need to put an entry in /etc/modules.conf

That didn't work. I got the framebuffer to work byt using both the generic vesa frame buffer and the radeon framebuffer. However, I am still unable to load the mouse. It says it can't find /dev/mouse. But if I boot up to the default kernel, it works fine. ???

well is /dev/mouse a link to /dev/psaux ? it should be, or else to /dev/gpmdata... are you using gpm ? (mouse w/o X)

I think it should be. At least it is there when I use the out-of-box kernel. However, I cannot see it if I browse /dev.
    I am using gpm. However, when it tries to load, it says "Oops, there was an error. Cannot find /dev/mouse.
    Also I am using gpm without the -R switch, if that is important in any way. I haven't set the link to point to /dev/gpmdata.