Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Where is Redhat 8.0?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Where is Redhat 8.0?

Where is Redhat 8.0?

I was wondering if anyone had heard of where Redhat 8.0 is in its developement - Mandrake (what I use normally) seems to release almost twice as often as Redhat. This may or may not be a good thing, but I've been thinking of upgrading my server (currently Mandrake 8.0) to the latest and greatest for security reasons and for nifty kde 3.0, etc.

I took a look at Redhat's site and it is much more "corporate" than Mandrake's, so its difficult to see where their development efforts are going.

Or I could just go with "freaky" (ie, not like Mandrake and Redhat) debian, but, eh, I don't have much experience with it.

I'm also thinking of dropping Redhat 8 on my new laptop (a compaq Evo), and didn't want to put in something else until Redhat 8 has come out.

Re:Where is Redhat 8.0?

hello,
    the beta's are out there. the 'freaky' distros are quite good, especially debain - give it a shot! if ya read the docs and have a high speed internet connection it is very good.

~coughs~Slack~coughs~

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=trickster link=board=7;threadid=4995;start=0#49620 date=1032213686]
    ~coughs~Slack~coughs~
    [/quote]

~coughs~I agree~coughs~

;D 8) ;D

Satan and Hitler use Slackware.

Baby Jesus and George W. Bush use Debian.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Rev. Frith link=board=7;threadid=4995;start=0#49631 date=1032215128]
    Satan and Hitler use Slackware.

Baby Jesus and George W. Bush use Debian.
    [/quote]

Correction, Satan uses Windows!

Mentor

No offense to anyone out there, but I'd be surprised if George W. Bush knew what Debian was, let alone how to use it. :P

Good Guru

I honestly think GWB uses whatever his kids put on the computer ;D

okay people!
    lets keep the polical stuff in "opinions" - thinking of linux geting assciated with any politican or evil enity is kinda gross...

Back to the topic at hand though - and I certainly don't want to get involved in a distribution war because frankly, I don't care about the minutia.

As I was saying I have two needs: a server machine, which is going to mostly be managed through a shell, and a desktop machine (actually a laptop).

Debian has appealed to me because of its ease to upgrade when security demands it and its .deb packaging. However I still think Debian is severely lacking as a desktop - other distributions seem more capable, and certainly more user friendly. I'd think about using BSD instead, but I worry about wrenching in programs like Qmail into BSD. (However the consistency of BSD appeals to me)

Redhat has appealed to me in the past because of how smoothly it installed on my laptops in the past. Many releases are packaged directly for Redhat and won't work with my current Mandrake system - I have to find a mandrake specific package. Now yes. I could compile from source. But I have better things to do, usually - I know saying this is almost heresy (You should always compile from source! say the wisemen).

I haven't touched Slackware since 1996 or so (along with Yggdrasil - wonder whatever happened to that?) so - for those of you who are Slackware fans - why are you recommending it over others?