Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The age of aggressive Linux advocacy is upon us.

The age of aggressive Linux advocacy is upon us.

As individuals and as a community, we must decide what will become of Linux, because in the end, we are Linux.

I'm prepared to take ownership. Are you?

Re:The age of aggressive Linux advocacy is upon us.

eating now
    world domination later

We need steering BAD... all this freedom and choice really is bad for Linux as an OS.

We need to decide on a set of standard, like ONE DE, one shell, one package system, etc. otherwise we will never get onto the desktop market

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=4217;start=0#41713 date=1026899861]
    We need steering BAD... all this freedom and choice really is bad for Linux as an OS.

We need to decide on a set of standard, like ONE DE, one shell, one package system, etc. otherwise we will never get onto the desktop market
    [/quote]I understand what you're saying, but if all that were to happen, one of the biggest selling points of Linux would dissappear, it's configurability. There's no easy answer, but my opinion would be an easier installation would help; that and (I hate to say this) more compatibility with Windows apps- face it, if someone has a couple thousand dollars invested in Windows programs, he's sure as hell not going to walk away from them because open source is the moral high ground, and there's no reason that he should. Lindows >UGH< had , in theory, the best marketing strategy of any Linux distro; "Hey, we can run your Windows programs in Linux!!" Too bad it was just Bull Exhaust.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=4217;start=0#41713 date=1026899861]
    [/quote]
    i disagree
    Linux is getting more succesfull every day... why change a winning team?

We need to decide on a set of standard
    we did
    www.linuxbase.org

like ONE DE
    wouldn't be good
    that's one of the big reasons i left windows... i got so sick and tired of it's look that i just couldn't take it anymore. yes that's right, i left windows cuz it's ugly, not cuz it wasn't stable (i was running win2k so stability wasn't a problem). if i _had_ to use a certain DE in Linux chances are that in 2 years i'll get sick and tired of it as well and i'd leave Linux (by then i could afford an Apple with OSX anyway ). I wouldn't be surprised if more people shared the same views on this as i do. Gnome and KDE just have to be able to work together, and that is what KDE and Gnome developers are working on right now.

one package system
    like it or not, rpm is a standard
    any linux system that doesn't use rpm is actually going against the standard. personally, i feel we should get rid of all the current package management systems because they all suck (yes, even the one _you_ are thinking about right now)

"Applications should be provided in the RPM packaging format as defined in the appendix of the 1997 edition of Maximum RPM, with some restrictions listed below. [1]
    Distributions must provide a mechanism for installing applications in this packaging format with some restrictions listed below. [2]" <= http://www.linuxbase.org/spec/refspe...html#PKGFORMAT

otherwise we will never get onto the desktop market
    we don't need to do anything special to get on the desktop market. microsoft's licensing schemes will put Linux on the desktop in companies. employees of those companies will then start using it at home, and then other people will see it and use it as well, etc... it will spread like a virus.

[/quote]

Good idea. Let's sacrifice Linux so the BSD's can have better support.

[quote author=Evil Honkey Kenshi link=board=13;threadid=4217;start=0#41769 date=1026937589]

[/quote]

[/quote]

If that's what it takes....

One DE is not a good thing0!! We preach freedom and now we're trying to take it away? No no no. The standards needed follow: One sound, OpenGL, possibly one package managment (not RPM), one shell I can agree with.

Linux has been in the Desktop Market for a while now, it takes time and training to really get somewhere. Remember when Windows 2.x was released and no one every really used it? Then 3.x was released and it took untill 3.1 that enough people were trained/confortable with it to actually use it.

[quote author=Evil Honkey Kenshi link=board=13;threadid=4217;start=0#41769 date=1026937589]
    [/quote]

Thats like taking away freedom for security, it's just wrong.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=4217;start=0#41713 date=1026899861]We need to decide on a set of standard, like ONE DE, one shell, one package system, etc. otherwise we will never get onto the desktop market[/quote]

I get it... Lets take away everything that makes linux good, and then we will achieve world domination!

Kind of a shallow victory, don't you think?