Thread: Strange Problems

Associate

Strange Problems

It seems that Gnome and KDE are competing on my computer. I started out with gnome once I installed Red Hat a week or so ago and quickly switched to KDE when I tried to install a RPM and gnome claimed they did not have a viewer to open my file. KDE opened and installed it fine.

Recently I booted up and noticed I could not find my console short cut. The icon changed into a picture of a gear indicating the program cannot be found. I looked and noticed that not only was the program not in the folder it was supposed to be in, it was no longer on my computer. To solve the problem I copied a link to gnome's console which works fine for now.

Same day I tried to install another RPM (still on KDE) and it cannot find KDE's rpm program now. I searched the main menu and it is no where to be found. What is going on here, I have only had the operating system for less then two weeks and I am the only one who uses it. I'm getting ready to reformat and install it but then the problem may reimmerge.

Any ideas on what is going on here. Also not a problem but rather a nuscience. After moving a shortcut of gnomes console program onto my home directory and running it in KDE, all web links i click onto open up Gnome's Galleon Explorer rather then KDE's konquer. Why does it do these things?

Brett

Re:Strange Problems

hummm. if you don't have a bunch of stuff to save in $HOME/.kde i would delete it, if you do have a bunch to save back it up, delete it then restore one thing at a time.

So you think i should reinstall but only one piece? How can I do that?

Advisor

It's the settings controling your kde session, pbharris is talking about, they are stored in your $HOME/.kde/ the default ones, which comes with any new user, is stored in /etc/skel/.kde/ Just move your $HOME/.kde/ to something like $HOME/.kde-backup and make a fresh copy of what's located in /etc/skel/.kde, then logout and login again, if you find some settings missing, that you had in the old setup, you just copy from the $HOME/.kde-backup what is controling that..

Good Guru

[quote author=pbharris link=board=1;threadid=4249;start=0#42005 date=1027054523]
    hummm. if you don't have a bunch of stuff to save in $HOME/.kde i would delete it, if you do have a bunch to save back it up, delete it then restore one thing at a time.
    [/quote]

simpler yet -- copy the data into another dir. Like all of $home goes into $home/backup_of_home

then vape all but that directory. KDE and GNOME will be like new. Of course you will need to reconfigure your preferences (themes and such) but this will clear out any glitches in a file.

Associate

Root has the same problem though....

Brett

Good Guru

How about this -- create a new user, and give it a shot then. There may be a problem though, in something else. It usually happens this way though. IIRC, the only problem I had with KDE, is when I had 2.2.1. It kept vaping my panels on me (all of them) and I had to delete my .kde directory to fix it. Twice, three times a week this would happen. Eventually I got pissed and did an upgrade to KDE 2.2.2 (This was on RH 7.1 IIRC). Other than that, those were the ONLY issues I ran into personally.

BTW -- what RedHat and KDE are you using?