Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Adapter Address

Thread: Adapter Address

Adapter Address

anyone know how to find out your NIC's adapter address in linux

I found mine in windows, but i need my linux box one as well, my college is asking for them in order to use the lan.

Re:Adapter Address

Is it the MAC address you are after?

If so just type ifconfig in a terminal & look for the eth0 entry (if its the only nic). Should list it as HWaddr

Regards

ed

Good Guru

If it's the only NIC card inside, ifconfig eth0 works well and it's specific so that you don't have to look for it.

Shouldn't it be the same MAC as the one registered in Windoze?

----

Shouldn't it be the same MAC as the one registered in Windoze?
    yep think so

Good Guru

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=4;threadid=4246;start=0#41934 date=1027021032]
    anyone know how to find out your NIC's adapter address in linux

I found mine in windows, but i need my linux box one as well, my college is asking for them in order to use the lan.
    [/quote]

Your MAC adress will be identical. Even if you use VMWare, the virtual adapter will still be the original MAC, since any packets spewed out of the NIC will be originating from that adapter. Pretty much, without putting your NIC into promiscuous mode, there is a very high improbability of your MAC being different. You may, however, have different IPS for the same MAC concurrently.

Sounds to me like he has two different computers, in which case the MAC addresses will very definitely not be the same. :P

ya they are two different computers, i have 1 win2k box, and i just built a brand new pc especially for linux, i plan on bringing both to college and using a KVM then possibly setup a gateway. i think it would be a sweet setup