Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: .wma sound files

Re:.wma sound files

Hey, I thought I was the resident Vorbis promoter here!

Vorbis is cool, though. What I especially like is the proper support for song info within the file (mp3s have many varied standards for storing this data, all incompatible, and the tools are frustrating to use. With Ogg, I just have one program for vorbis info and it does everything, and it works great

Mentor

Rather than rerip them, can I just convert them from wma to ogg? Also how do I convert my mp3's to ogg?
    Cheers
    CP

<edit>This is what I am getting when I configure it. Should I be able to play divx files with this?
    Enabled optional drivers:
    Input: network tv mpdvdkit vcd
    Codecs: divx5linux libavcodec directshow win32 libvorbis libmad
    Audio output: arts oss sdl mpegpes(file)
    Video output: xvidix sdl vesa gif89a jpeg png mpegpes(file) fbdev svga aa xmga mga opengl dga xv x11
    </edit>

[quote author=CP link=board=2;threadid=4235;start=0#42424 date=1027374364]
    Rather than rerip them, can I just convert them from wma to ogg? Also how do I convert my mp3's to ogg?
    Cheers
    CP
    [/quote]

converting them would probably take just as long as reripping them, and by reripping u get higher qualities because u then still have the original wavefile

[quote author=CP link=board=2;threadid=4235;start=0#42424 date=1027374364]
    This is what I am getting when I configure it. Should I be able to play divx files with this?
    Enabled optional drivers:
    Input: network tv mpdvdkit vcd
    Codecs: divx5linux libavcodec directshow win32 libvorbis libmad
    Audio output: arts oss sdl mpegpes(file)
    Video output: xvidix sdl vesa gif89a jpeg png mpegpes(file) fbdev svga aa xmga mga opengl dga xv x11
    [/quote]
    yep you can play divx with that configuration or most of them

[quote author=CP link=board=2;threadid=4235;start=0#42424 date=1027374364]Also how do I convert my mp3's to ogg?[/quote]

As ralinx said, you're probably better off reripping, but if you have an mp3 that you need convert (ie, you got it off the net and don't have the cd), then this is what I'd do:

1. use mpg123 to output the mp3 to a wav
    2. use oggenc to output the wav to an ogg.

Since wav has no compression (pretty much raw audio data, but not quite), this is not a lossy conversion. I can hear no difference between the mp3s and the oggs, anyway.

If you're clever, you could write a short bash script that converts them all without having to do each one manually

Mentor

Will it make much of a difference though if I use ogg instead of mp3? Like is it worth reripping about 30 CD's, or just the ones that are wma files?
    Anyways, this is off topic, but in mplayer I still can only get mp3's to play. When it starts it tells me my computer doesn't support the XShape extension. Can't get any movies to play, avi, mpg, divx nothing. I can't even get wma files to play. This is really pissing me off.

[quote author=CP link=board=2;threadid=4235;start=0#42446 date=1027386473]
    Will it make much of a difference though if I use ogg instead of mp3? Like is it worth reripping about 30 CD's, or just the ones that are wma files?
    [/quote]

depends on wether or not u wanna save some HD space. i usually get ogg files that are at least one megabyte smaller than the mp3 files. so if u have a lot of mp3s and wanna save space then converting them to ogg can help u out a lot. if ur not worrying about disk space, it's not really necessary allthough if u rerip each CD to ogg vorbis the quality will probably be better than the mp3s while still being smaller or at least not bigger than the mp3s. the question is mainly.. will u notice the difference in quality? some people do, some people don't

i suggest testing it. rip a track from a cd and encode it to ogg and to mp3. play around with the quality settings, look at the file sizes.. and in the end ur able to make a well informed decision without spending a lot of time on it.

[quote author=CP link=board=2;threadid=4235;start=0#42446 date=1027386473]
    When it starts it tells me my computer doesn't support the XShape extension. Can't get any movies to play, avi, mpg, divx nothing. I can't even get wma files to play. This is really pissing me off.
    [/quote]
    type mplayer -vo help and try with another video output ie:
    mplayer -vo x11 or mplayer -vo sdl

http://www.mplayerhq.hu/DOCS/video.html#2.3.1

HtH