Thread: tried gentoo install need help

tried gentoo install need help

I tried to install gentoo twice and got the same error during bootstrap phase disk full. I deleted the previous partitions and built the new ones according to the install instructions. I have a 20 gb hd and set hda1 = 100mb hda2 (swap) =250mb and hda3 = remainder of 20gb

making of fs
    mkswap /dev/hda2
    mke2fs /dev/hda1
    mke2fs -j /dev/hda3

did I forget anything that would cause the system to only see a small portion of the hda3 partition.

Re:tried gentoo install need help

I set my "hda1" to 300 mb, check the documents there is a way to specify which directory gentoo will place unpacked files, default is /var/temp/... something
    change that to /gentoo_temp or something.
    It's an env. variabel you have to set.

Ah this is one of the problems i had. If you notice some of the fine print (mind you it was under the xfs section) you may have to zero the drive to remove all old file system and then start over.

I'm a chicken, I partitioned using my Mandrake install cds, Fdisk is EVIL !!

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=4232;start=0#41840 date=1026983544]
    [/quote]

I partitioned using the debian install cd : ;D Somehow I don't like fdisk :P

what's wrong with fdisk?
    it's not hard, and even if u really think it's hard u can still use cfdisk

Good Guru

Fdisk has saved my ass alot of times. Not just with linux and BSD, but winders too! I have not had a lick of problems with it.

Bah fdisk, cfdisk, disk druid what ever they are all the same. Once you learn the menu commands it is a snap. Only with f/cfdisk you have to use a bit of math. One of the nice things about fdisk is that there are better options readily apparent when you are setting the partition sizes. Both f/cfdisk do a wonderfull job of setting the partition table quickly and the CLI setup of the filesystems is way way way quicker.

You guys are whimps

I found the code listing in gentoo to zero the drive my big question now is when do i run it?
    1. wipe the old partitions, then dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/hda bs=1k, then rebuild partitions or

2. wipe old, build new and then do this in each partion.

[quote author=Black666 link=board=7;threadid=4232;start=0#41877 date=1027003846]
    [quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=4232;start=0#41840 date=1026983544]
    [/quote]

I partitioned using the debian install cd : ;D Somehow I don't like fdisk :P
    [/quote]

Fdisk isn't that bad.