Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Open Ports
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Ports

Open Ports

When I do an Nmapfe (from X) I get the following results :

Starting nmap V. 2.54BETA33 ( www.insecure.org/nmap/ )
    Interesting ports on localhost (127.0.0.1):
    (The 1542 ports scanned but not shown below are in state: closed)
    Port State Service
    21/tcp open ftp
    22/tcp open ssh
    25/tcp open smtp
    37/tcp open time
    79/tcp open finger
    80/tcp open http
    111/tcp open sunrpc
    113/tcp open auth
    515/tcp open printer
    587/tcp open submission
    6000/tcp open X11
    6008/tcp open X11:8

Nmap run completed -- 1 IP address (1 host up) scanned in 0 seconds

I know some of these ports should be closed, or the service stopped. Which should I stop? and how should I go about to do that?
    Thnaks.

Re: Open Ports

Stop the following if you can ....

ftp
    smtp
    finger (!!!)
    sunrpc (!!!)
    submission (?)

It depends on distro. Usually you can find a nice chunk of them in inetd.conf.

I'll try it when I get home today. Thanks.
    I found this on Google. regarding port 587:

"It's the default port for Message Submission protocol, RFC 2476.
    Like as not, it's your mail daemon that has the port open. If you
    are using Sendmail 8.10.x, you have to explicitly disable it if
    you don't want it (FEATURE(`no_default_msa')). "

Actually In redhat 7.x its xinetd.conf. Or you could use a firewall to block those ports.

Which should I stop?
    You should disable every single one of them, unless you know for sure that you want to be running it (if you're not sure about a service, you don't need it).

and how should I go about to do that?
    There are various ways, depends on the service. I'd start by getting a distro that doesn't enable all that crap in the first place, but that's just me. Whatever distro you are using probably has some kind of GUI tool to disable them all, try using that. Then look into setting up a firewall.

I'm using Slackware. I don't think it has a GUI for these services. I don't think it has a GUI for a lot of thinks, really.
    Problem with getting a distro that is tone down on all the services is that it will probably be a minimalistic distro. The problem with this is that I am not comfortable enough with Linux yet as to know how to install all the stuff I may/may not need.

Mentor

Just use Webmin. It makes it very-very simple to start/stop/enable/disable any service from you web browser.

It's pretty easy if you don't have a gui tool..
    As root open up /etc/initd.conf and comment in (place a #) the ports you want to close. *Some might not close completely what you need to do is to make sure that app that activates that port just dosen't start. *You might have to get into you /etc/init.d to do that.

I downloaded Webmin but I haven't installed it yet. I rem'd out everything on the inetd.conf file, except the time. This is the output I get with nmap now:
    Port State Service Owner
    22/tcp open ssh
    37/tcp open time
    80/tcp open http
    111/tcp open sunrpc
    515/tcp open printer
    1024/tcp open kdm
    3457/tcp open vat-control
    6000/tcp open X11
    I don't know how to close the sunrpc service... Is there anything else I should stop?

Re:Open Ports

ok, I found how to. it is on /etc/rc.d/inetd2.config (I think that is what it was called. However, I went crazy editing all these files and I couldn't connect to the net afterwards. ???
    Time for a reinstall...