Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: /me has TwinView

/me has TwinView

Yesterday I finally decided to put my extra monitor and my geforce twinview card to some use. I was prepared for a mighty battle that would take me days or even weeks at best. Bah, it took me 10 minutes to get it working. 5 min of googling, 4 min of editing XF86Config-4 and restarting X. That was it! I nailed it the first time.

I have one 17" main tube and a smaller one (prolly 14" or something) on the left side of it. I use the big screen for normal desktop stuff and keep irssi terminal open in the smaller one.

Here's a screenshot for you. Nevermind the KDE, I only use it for now cause seti@home fscked up all my other DEs/WMs.

http://www.dyecrest.com/janne/janne_twinview.png

I'll post digicam pic of my desk later so you can see how nice it really is.

I just had to share this with you

:cry: *sniff* these are tears of joy, im so proud :P

congrats janne, you were able to butcher the xconfig i put on there for you and get something to work, im impressed, i usually tear those things up so much that only the cryptkeeper can mess with them :P

Wow...

start jelous rant

I think that I might just have to do that - I have so many monitors kicking around that could be put to good use.

It sounds so cool as well

So do you need a video card that supports two monitors or can you just install two seperate cards?

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by jme
    Wow...

So do you need a video card that supports two monitors or can you just install two seperate cards?

Jamie
    You can install two seperate cards.

Heck, try three... I put five in a machine once to see what would happen, not a whole lot in fact. I've done an ATI rage 128 + Voodoo3, a Matrox G550 + Nvidia TNT2 (for 3 heads total), a voodoo3 + matrox G400 (2 head again), mix and match PCI and AGP all you want... accelerated video modes don't work when xinerama is on, so no twin-head gaming.

Cheers,

Finegan

heheh finey forgot to login :P

guess all those questions over at the other forums are getting to him heheh

Associate

TwinView

That's specific for nvidia cards...going with 2 nic's and Xfree won't know what to do with TwinView. Here's a link to my XF86Config that gets the job done nicely...

http://je-fro.port5.com/RRweb/gentooXF86config.html

That's specific for nvidia cards...going with 2 nic's and Xfree won't know what to do with TwinView. Here's a link to my XF86Config that gets the job done nicely...

http://je-fro.port5.com/RRweb/gentooXF86config.html
    dagnammit je_fro! you're giving away my secrets for free here :P

I have one card that supports two monitors. I dunno about several graphics cards.

If anyone needs to feel better I can tell that my whole system broke down yesterday. I'm in knoppix atm cause I'm too lazy to do a new install atm. maybe I'll install PEGINA Linux when the .iso is up...

Okay then - I think that I may have to invest in a video card that supports two monitors then.

If that's the case - which are the best video with two-monitor-support that work under linux. I have neever had to buy for Linux and always had to hack around to get my hardware working so I would like an easy time with this one.

Im in the UK so any cards that are avaliable to the UK as well would be excellent.

Cheers,
    Jamie

you do know you can use more than one card (as finnegannnnn said....)