Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New NVIDIA drivers and compile problem!

Good Guru

Re:New NVIDIA drivers and compile problem!

sweet! Ill let ya know when I ship. let me know what happens.

well, it all worked perfectly...so whats this mean and what should i do now?
    -CJ

keep reting to make the cursed NVdriver - also delete the current NVidia_kernel directory and extract the files again. that screwed me up once, just once...

Good Guru

Excellent!

Phase 1 : Compile Kernel!
    Phase 2:
    Phase 3: nVIDIA Drivers!

J/k

Anyway, now we have stuff for sure. Go into your nVIDIA kernel dir and do (as root)

make

now (providing it works) go into the glx directory, and do the exact same thing.

That is the way to build the nVIDIA drivers! Then we just edit the XFree config file. We can dive into that once we get your drivers working.

i got an error with the nvidia kernel compile:
    /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver: kernel-mod
    /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver was
    sion 2.4.5
    while this kernel is version 2.2.19.
    /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver: insmod /li
    Vdriver failed
    /lib/modules/2.2.19/video/NVdriver: insmod NVd
    make: *** [package-install] Error 255

i'm presuming this means that i'm still running the 2.2.19 even tho 2.4.5 is installed...how do i switch it?
    -CJ
    P.S. I'm runnin out of hd space...once i switch to 2.4.5 should i and can i delete the 2.2.19 source?

Good Guru

Well, dude that is the problem! Sweer. We nailed it.

here is the choices.

Use the 2.2 kernel, vape the entire 2.4 tree
    Use the 2.4 kernel, vape the entire 2.2 tree

I would say, for usability -- go for the 2.4 kernel. It is better. And 2.4.7 and 2.4.9 are two of my favorite 2.4 kernels. 2.4.18 is impressing me too in RH7.3. But stick to the 2.2 for now.

In the /etc/lilo.conf (if you are using LILO) or in /boot/grub/ golder there are the config files there. There are pets here for each. That will allow you to use a new kernel you built.

DO NOTE HOWEVER! We built a kernel -- yes. However I have no clue on how USABLE it is. Yes. We configured NOTHING. I would reccommend that unless you go and configure it properly, you are in for a world of hurt! If you need an option and it isnt enabled, it wont work. If you enable something by accident that shouldnt work with something else, pain arrives. Lets give you a bit of experience in linux, before we put you through this. It isnt all that bad -- but thats for someone who at least know how a functional sytem "feels" like. From what I know, you are fresh out of M$ school and looking for that nifty new toy -- Linux. Learn the cool stuff about linux. Then fuck with it. I had a much rougher time learning it, due to the fact I was forced to fuck with amost everything. I spent alot of time reinstalling due to thrashed .conf's and such. I really dont want you to hate one of my favorite distros (and oldest lasting) due to an arrogant moron (me) telling you that this is all easy and any idiot can do it.

Should you decide that you feel like going onward with a new kernel -- I will help anyway ;D Just dont hate linux if you bork your system a few times :P I think my record was 8 kernels in a row that were fucked.
    My age in linux years: 0.3
    My happiness : - 231.43

Good Guru

Oh and one more thing. Try building the 2.2 kernel. Dont vape shit till you verify its there. I just remembered that they may not have included the source in your install for both, but installed the 2.2 kernel Check first. I may be wrong.

hey people - so ya installed the 2.4.5 kernel and just need to boot it ? is that right? the the NV driver will work?

let us know CJ!!
    thx!

if i do wanna switch to the 2.4.5 kernel, should i just follow the PET and be fine? i do have a little linux experience before...jsut with Mandrake 7.2 but that was crappy and it didnt help me learn much cuz i was never in console, and thus became afraid of using it...but ive learned the console is your friend when x isn't and, i could go distroless like gorn : or not...but i could maybe drag him over to my house if i really need help...thanks for the help so far tho
    -CJ

[quote author=cj171 link=board=1;threadid=4218;start=0#41975 date=1027039905]
    if i do wanna switch to the 2.4.5 kernel, should i just follow the PET and be fine?

but ive learned the console is your friend when x isn't

and, i could go distroless like gorn : or not...

but i could maybe drag him over to my house if i really need help...thanks for the help so far tho
    [/quote]

for kernel upgrade yeah it's simple, read the help for the options you dont understand, and use menuconfig cause just config you can't go back, and xconfig you need X working and the ui is bad.

distroless maybe after you're more experinced. i grew up on suse and slack, then out grew them.

and yeah if anything uberbreaks i can come over, but i haven't played with nvidia stuff before.