Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Life in prison for Hackers

Re:Life in prison for Hackers

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=13;threadid=4215;start=30#42845 date=1027584555]

If I killed your parents, would you be happy?[/quote]

No...

(or, even better)

Would you pay $25,000,000 to save the lives of your parents? (assuming that you actually have this money to give)
    Yes.

However, in the latter case, I would only be doing so because my parents have emotional value to me, not monetary.

The thing about crackers is that sometimes they create code that maliciously exploits networks and computers without care for the emotional or monetary value of the systems to the owners. It's only a victimless crime for the cracker, who never really knows who he is victimizing.

Comparing a cracker who commits a crime to a pair of loving people who raised me isn't exactly a good comparison. While I would have pity for my parents if terrorists were holding them for ransom, I wouldn't have a lot of pity for a cracker that needed $25 mil for bail because he deliberately hacked into a network that he wasn't supposed to.

Yuck. I had a nice reply all typed out, but it wasn't very positive, and I'm not in the mood for fighting.

Suffice it to say, the idea that "crackers are worse than killers" that you're trying to push is childish, and you should probably try having a close family memeber killed before you say it again.

That's all i've got to say on this, have a nice life.

We should start executing people who spit on the sidewalk, because people could slip on that, break their hip, get fired from work, and have their whole life devistated by someone deliberately spitting in a place that's not meant to be spit at. The spitter wouldn't even see the effects his saliva had on another person's life, so we should remind him by injecting death into his veins.

The slackware site is down today and it got me thinking. If it was a "cracker" that brought it down, untill congress passes this what could they charge the person with if they caught him?

There would not be any loss of business---slackware is free. There is no physical damage. The guy I guess would not be punished for it.

Even after this law is put in place, no jury of 12 average americans would put him in prison for life. The implication is that in the us there is currently no protection for open source software. Open source software websites/servers can be hacked cracked trojened whatever without any punishment for the people doing it. >

[quote author=flashingcurser link=board=13;threadid=4215;start=30#45405 date=1029096628]
    The slackware site is down today and it got me thinking. If it was a "cracker" that brought it down, untill congress passes this what could they charge the person with if they caught him?

There would not be any loss of business---slackware is free. There is no physical damage. The guy I guess would not be punished for it.
    [/quote]

Depends. He probably would be thrown in jailand made an example of if it was an attack ... even if it was an attack on accident (yes, that happens more than you'd thing!)

Even after this law is put in place, no jury of 12 average americans would put him in prison for life. The implication is that in the us there is currently no protection for open source software. Open source software websites/servers can be hacked cracked trojened whatever without any punishment for the people doing it. >
    Thats possible that since it isn't under law that they wouldn't punish the person if a jury decided, but it seems like more and more cases that deal with technology cut the public out of the loop and let the judge and an army of laywers decide.

Depends. He probably would be thrown in jailand made an example of if it was an attack ... even if it was an attack on accident (yes, that happens more than you'd thing!)
    He would be thrown in jailand under what law?
    (the question is rhetorical because there is NO law against it)

Again slackware would find it very hard to prove in a civil court that they suffered a some sort of negligent loss of business---the software is free. This would not be true if the attack happend to Microsoft---as nothing with microsoft is FREE (if it is it's spyware hehehe). Furthermore there is currently no CRIMINAL law against it. (You do know roughly the difference between civil and criminal law, right?)

The open source comunity is the one that needs the protection of a criminal law most.

Oh and by the way,

The jury system is alive and well in this country (even in Florida) ;D

Check out your local district court

[quote author=flashingcurser link=board=13;threadid=4215;start=30#45504 date=1029183351]
    Oh and by the way,

[/quote]

They have to prove it first for me to belive it. I'm still waiting for the guy who raped my sister to be tried in court, let alone have a jury present. :

[quote author=flashingcurser link=board=13;threadid=4215;start=30#45502 date=1029182284]
    He would be thrown in jailand under what law?
    (the question is rhetorical because there is NO law against it)
    [/quote]

He would be considered a terrorist under the patriot act (or terrorist bill). But then again who isn't a terrorist under those laws. >

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=13;threadid=4215;start=30#45514 date=1029187044]
    [quote author=flashingcurser link=board=13;threadid=4215;start=30#45504 date=1029183351]
    Oh and by the way,

[/quote]

They have to prove it first for me to belive it. I'm still waiting for the guy who raped my sister to be tried in court, let alone have a jury present. :
    [/quote]

Gah. >

You wouldn't even want to know what I would do to a guy if he had raped my sister.

They'd have a tough time filling a shoebox with his remains.