Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Next distro

Re:Next distro

Well Debian may take a while because they have more platforms to port too but it still doesn't change their situation.

Bleeding edge (At least under LFS) is a bit more work, but its worth it in the end (Think kde-3.x before rpm's/deb's/tgz's(slack) have been released or gcc-3.1)

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Sarah31 link=board=7;threadid=4202;start=0#43452 date=1027835656]
    how is the software status on Lunar, to me it looks a bit like Debian, lots of outdated packages
    grrr! what a fib i run unstable in my libranet without issue and the packages are at best only a few weeks behind. Well except for X, KDE3, and GNOME2. But if you know how to type and google will lead you to those debs and ---hmmm--- there is always source. (BTW the X 4.2 experimental debs work great).

as you may have found with Gentoo "bleeding edge" is not all it is cut out to be

oh and threason it takes debain dso long is because they have lots of platform to port to and they want to make sure that broad stability is there and bugs are mostly worked out. Nothing wrong with that considering how much 'bleeding edge' types whine when something is not working 'like it used too'.

so many hypocrits so little time :
    [/quote]

That is the crux of the whole situation...if you make everything bleeding edge and it doesn't work, they complain. Take a little time, make everything as stable as possible, they complain. Well, you can't please all the people all the time, so screw'em. That is why most projects have a mission statement...if you don't agree, find another project that has a mission statement that you agree with.

if u want cutting edge do it ur self with LFS and u won't even know what this 'bleeding edge' thing is that everyone talks about.

i'm practically running the very latest of everything basically and my system works perfectly and it's fast as fuck. even with gentoo that wouldn't be possible because in someway portage would've fucked something up. when u build everything urself manually u have so much control over the system and with a little bit of experience u can make almost everything work great.

Well Debian may take a while because they have more platforms to port too but it still doesn't change their situation.
    and what situation is that? as far as i know it is still one of the top 5 distros--if that matters at all. It still has the most packages to choose from and they are still very much free.

as i see it stryder144 has it pegged quite nicely. i for one will always be a Debiangirl. Gentoo (which i am trying out right now) just doesn't cut it yet and LFS is just too much work for me right now. LFS is a darn good teaching tool though, probably the best.

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=7;threadid=4202;start=0#43460 date=1027845458]
    if u want cutting edge do it ur self with LFS and u won't even know what this 'bleeding edge' thing is that everyone talks about.

i'm practically running the very latest of everything basically and my system works perfectly and it's fast as fuck. even with gentoo that wouldn't be possible because in someway portage would've fucked something up. when u build everything urself manually u have so much control over the system and with a little bit of experience u can make almost everything work great.

[/quote]

agreed