Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Next distro

Re:Next distro

[quote author=Stumbles link=board=7;threadid=4202;start=0#43030 date=1027647860]
    Lunar-Linux, similar in nature to Gentoo and LFS. Running it now no complaints.
    [/quote]

Infact an early ripoff for sorcerer Linux, which is now looking like it beng run into the ground by a boneheaded developer, so the alternative is Sourcemage GNU/Linux.

Thats rather harsh. I am not the brightest but I don't see how it is being run into the ground.

Yes Lunar is a fork of sorts, depends on how you want to interpret the history of Sorcery. I was using Sorcery at the time when Kyle (for various reasons) dropped the project. In fact it was questionable after he left if anyone was going to carry on with such a great idea.

I am glad Kyle's excellent idea has carried on through both "distros".

[quote author=Stumbles link=board=7;threadid=4202;start=0#43099 date=1027683691]
    Thats rather harsh. I am not the brightest but I don't see how it is being run into the ground.

Yes Lunar is a fork of sorts, depends on how you want to interpret the history of Sorcery. I was using Sorcery at the time when Kyle (for various reasons) dropped the project. In fact it was questionable after he left if anyone was going to carry on with such a great idea.

I am glad Kyle's excellent idea has carried on through both "distros".
    [/quote]

Kyle restarted the project under a none forking license, and now all the users are running in the general direction of Gentoo, Lunar and Sourcemage.

btw, how is the software status on Lunar, to me it looks a bit like Debian, lots of outdated packages - but I haven't been on the website for quite some time.

Yes I had heard Kyle restarted Sorcery and changed the license, which is why I have not went back to it.

I am not familiar with Debian so I dunno about similarities.

I am sure there are a few outdated packages BUT not that many to stay away from it. KDE is at 3.0.2, you have your choice of GCC3 or 2.xx, gnome 1.4, just to name a few.

They are trying to keep it true to concept, that is strictly source. There are a few execptions only because there are absolutely no other alternatives. For example, macromedia is only available as a binary.

Right now OpenOffice is available only as a binary because of some difficulty in figuring out how to change the shell environment to compile OO from source. I think OO wants tch instead of bash.

Overall I am very pleased with Lunar. There has been a few problems like syntax errors in some of the scripts and such but they were quickly resolved. Heck, I was even able to figure out one of the problems by myself. That I would not have been able to do with Gentoo.

I run it on an AMD K62 333. Yes the compile times for qt3, kde3 and such are...........well lenghty but hey its just a 333. But it has lots of ram (512) and a 2G swap file.

One of these days when another machine becomes available I will look at SourceMage again.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Stumbles link=board=7;threadid=4202;start=0#43115 date=1027686336]

I run it on an AMD K62 333. Yes the compile times for qt3, kde3 and such are...........well lenghty but hey its just a 333. But it has lots of ram (512) and a 2G swap file.
    [/quote]

Hmmm...I just nuked the 2 gig NT partition that I had set up on my computer (it puked all over my win98 partition, which I need, NT was just for frustrations sake. Bingo...it worked, I'm still frustrated!). I might have to delete the current swap file and merge it with my now gone NT partition. That will make a bit over 2 gigs for swap. Unfortunately, I only have 126mb (128 actual, but 2m set aside for the video chip that I don't use) of ram and a Cyrix MII-PR333. I am going to be building LFS again, once I finish downloading a few things.

Speaking of swap space, I have two hard drives, a 4 gig drive with Win98 and an 8 gig with Linux on it. Would it speed things up a bit if I moved the swap partition to part of the 4 gig drive? I could set aside 512 mb of swap space for it. Any thoughts?

[quote author=stryder144 link=board=7;threadid=4202;start=0#43342 date=1027778808]
    [quote author=Stumbles link=board=7;threadid=4202;start=0#43115 date=1027686336]

[/quote]

Hmmm...I just nuked the 2 gig NT partition that I had set up on my computer (it puked all over my win98 partition, which I need, NT was just for frustrations sake. Bingo...it worked, I'm still frustrated!). I might have to delete the current swap file and merge it with my now gone NT partition. That will make a bit over 2 gigs for swap. Unfortunately, I only have 126mb (128 actual, but 2m set aside for the video chip that I don't use) of ram and a Cyrix MII-PR333. I am going to be building LFS again, once I finish downloading a few things.

Speaking of swap space, I have two hard drives, a 4 gig drive with Win98 and an 8 gig with Linux on it. Would it speed things up a bit if I moved the swap partition to part of the 4 gig drive? I could set aside 512 mb of swap space for it. Any thoughts?
    [/quote]

I do not see why it would not work with 2Gs of swap and 126 of ram. The only thing I think would happen is you would actually use some of the swap when compiling the larger programs. Having 512M ram and a 2G lets me run kde, surf the net and run kmail and compile at the sametime. Though doing all that on a 333 does cause some slow down.

I don't think moving your swap to the 4G drive would help any.........unless it is much faster than the 8G drive. Run hdparm tests on both and see what kind of times you can get out of them ( I assume them to be IDE's).

I haven't tried a 512M swap with 126M ram nor am I familiar with the requirements of LFS. Lunar-Linux recommends the set up I have.

Kind Mastermind

Stumbles...thanks for the info. I doubt the first hard drive is faster, so I guess I'll just stick with the original idea of making a nice, fat 2g swap. If I were at home I'd check their speeds, but I'm at work right now, so that isn't an option.

Cheers

Quit goofin around and start slackin! ;D

Kind Mastermind

Right on! ;D

how is the software status on Lunar, to me it looks a bit like Debian, lots of outdated packages
    grrr! what a fib i run unstable in my libranet without issue and the packages are at best only a few weeks behind. Well except for X, KDE3, and GNOME2. But if you know how to type and google will lead you to those debs and ---hmmm--- there is always source. (BTW the X 4.2 experimental debs work great).

as you may have found with Gentoo "bleeding edge" is not all it is cut out to be

oh and threason it takes debain dso long is because they have lots of platform to port to and they want to make sure that broad stability is there and bugs are mostly worked out. Nothing wrong with that considering how much 'bleeding edge' types whine when something is not working 'like it used too'.

so many hypocrits so little time :