Thread: Gentoo: Weird signs on screen

Gentoo: Weird signs on screen

Hi!

I'm trying to install Gentoo 1.2
    So far everything went fine (I started with a stage1 installation).

bootstrap.sh worked and even emerge system completed without any problems. My problem is at step 13 - Final steps: timezone:

You have to do a
    ln -sf /usr/share/zoneinfo/path/to/timezonefile /etc/localtime

After finding my zonefile (/usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Vienna) I was curious and did a "cat /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Vienna" and from that moment on I only have weird signs on the screen.
    I can type in any commands and it also prints the output of the command, I just don't know what because the signs are not a,b,c,d,e,.... they are things like -,+,|,...

Is there a way to get back to the "standard signs"?
    I don't want to begin all over again because it has taken a time on my Celeron700 to get to this point.
    But I can't go on with the installation because I don't see what I type and don't know what the output means.

Why does a cat /usr/share/zoneinfo/Europe/Vienna cause that trouble??

Re:Gentoo: Weird signs on screen

the weird signs are because u displayed a binary file and for some reason when u do that, bash goes a little crazy.

to see how u may be able to fix it, take a look at this:
    http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Text-Termi...16.html#ss16.8

there are a couple of solutions on that page. however, i tried this on my box (catted a binary as well) and none of the options seemed to fix it for me. but maybe u'll have more luck

I opened a second console (thank god that the gentoo installation offers multiple consoles) chrooted again and continued with the installation.

I booted my gentoo box 1 minute ago ... and it is working!!! I'm so happy. I will play a bit with gentoo (install kde, gnome and configure some things) and then I'll give gentoo a try on my desktop box at home.
    So far I love it!!

Btw: Thnx to rac from the gentoo forum for his hint to open a second console.

Mhmm one more thing:

I logged in as root (There is no other user yet) and I'm missing the console colors - blue for directories, red for executables and so on.
    I had this problem at a debian installation some time ago and fixed it with just un-comenting a line in the .bashrc (or was ist .bash_profile). But there is no such file under /root

Any hints?

[quote author=Black666 link=board=1;threadid=4201;start=0#41562 date=1026828676]
    Mhmm one more thing:

I logged in as root (There is no other user yet) and I'm missing the console colors - blue for directories, red for executables and so on.
    I had this problem at a debian installation some time ago and fixed it with just un-comenting a line in the .bashrc (or was ist .bash_profile). But there is no such file under /root

Any hints?
    [/quote]

I'm not familar with gentoo, but whatever is the equivalent of your .bashrc file when you are logged in as root needs to be modified. Add the following alias, and you should get the colors (here's what's in my .bashrc, and i'm running rh-7.3):

Code:
    # User specific aliases and functionsalias ls='ls --color'
    alias ls='ls --color'

[quote author=bafalouk link=board=1;threadid=4201;start=0#41564 date=1026829835]
    I'm not familar with gentoo, but whatever is the equivalent of your .bashrc file when you are logged in as root needs to be modified. Add the following alias, and you should get the colors (here's what's in my .bashrc, and i'm running rh-7.3):

Code:
    # User specific aliases and functionsalias ls='ls --color'
    alias ls='ls --color'
    [/quote]

that should do it
    however, put in in ~/.bash_profile because .bashrc only gets read by X terminals

edit: or do what i do => symlink .bashrc to .bash_profile

Hello,
    In Gentoo, add the alias ls='ls --color' line to the bottom of /etc/profile

[quote author=Stix link=board=1;threadid=4201;start=0#41576 date=1026834027]
    Hello,
    In Gentoo, add the alias ls='ls --color' line to the bottom of /etc/profile
    [/quote]

Thanks for the tip man, I haven't bothered to check out all the quirkes of Gentoo yet.