Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Router inquisition -- suggestions

Thread: Router inquisition -- suggestions

Router inquisition -- suggestions

Been looking to get a new router, had a Linksys 4-port one (dont remember model number) that served me very well for a few years, and now need some recommendations for a new one. Here's a description of the network I intend to establish (for my apt. at college):

• 3 PCs (two roomies with XP box, me with my RedHat/XP setup)
    • Occasional laptop (windoze)
    • One IP supplied by provider

I've been doing a little searching, and from have found a good review for a NetGear router (http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...html?tag=prmo5). The specs/performance/price look pretty good.

What do you all think bout this NetGear one, and any other suggestions?

Good Guru

Re:Router inquisition -- suggestions

Netgear kicks ass. If that is the model I think (RT614, silver slim one) I would get it. The model I just bought for a client of mine has a single WAN, 5 LAN with a shared uplink. And the firmware is great. Supports anything you throw at it. I have a really old but good RT311 that is rock solid and realiable as hell. Go with that one. The price is awesome and the product is even better!

[edit] I actually followed the URL, and that is the one. Buy it. Its definitely worth the $$$ [/edit]

[quote author=Schotty link=board=3;threadid=4185;start=0#41423 date=1026764204]
    Netgear kicks ass. If that is the model I think (RT614, silver slim one) I would get it. The model I just bought for a client of mine has a single WAN, 5 LAN with a shared uplink. And the firmware is great. Supports anything you throw at it. I have a really old but good RT311 that is rock solid and realiable as hell. Go with that one. The price is awesome and the product is even better!

[edit] I actually followed the URL, and that is the one. Buy it. Its definitely worth the $$$ [/edit]
    [/quote]

Thanks, that's the one (RT614) ... I've seen some rave reviews for it, just wanted to get some feedback from you guys ;D ... looks like this is the one i'm gonna dish out for.

Good Guru

I fell in love with Netgear a bit back, and they have given me no reason to shy away from them. I like the unit. It is VERY easy to work with and administer. You will be happy.

I just bought for a client of mine has a ...
    [/quote]

Hey, are you in bus. for yourself?

[quote author=bafalouk link=board=3;threadid=4185;start=0#41422 date=1026763985]
    Been looking to get a new router, had a Linksys 4-port one (dont remember model number) that served me very well for a few years, and now need some recommendations for a new one. Here's a description of the network I intend to establish (for my apt. at college):

• 3 PCs (two roomies with XP box, me with my RedHat/XP setup)
    • Occasional laptop (windoze)
    • One IP supplied by provider

I've been doing a little searching, and from have found a good review for a NetGear router (http://computers.cnet.com/hardware/0...html?tag=prmo5). The specs/performance/price look pretty good.

What do you all think bout this NetGear one, and any other suggestions?
    [/quote]

Why not just build yourself a firewall/gateway from an old pc? It's quite easy to do and very cheap.

Why not just build yourself a firewall/gateway from an old pc? It's quite easy to do and very cheap.
    I thought bout that, but right now I dont have any spare PC parts lieing around, and very little time to build one for such a use. I'll just have to go the convenient way and dish out the bucks for a router

Good Guru

[quote author=Radar link=board=3;threadid=4185;start=0#41461 date=1026781111]
    I just bought for a client of mine has a ...
    [/quote]

Hey, are you in bus. for yourself?
    [/quote]
    Yeah, I am getting going on that. Right now its jsut 'side jobs'. But that is quickly changing.