Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

opening tty's

Thread: opening tty's

opening tty's

Is it possible to make a program run on a different tty? Suppose for instance that I am working in tty1 and I want to open an ssh session (or any other program) in tty5. Can I do that? I know agetty opens a tty with login prompt and everything, but thats not what I need.

PS: what does tty mean? Is it an acronym or what?

Good Guru

Re:opening tty's

tty -- teletype

and IIRC you can pipe the program to /dev/ttyXX and you can do that. I do that with my GAH screens. ssh 1.2.3.4 > /dev/tty5 shiuld do what you want.

[quote author=Schotty link=board=12;threadid=4174;start=0#41438 date=1026767701]and IIRC you can pipe the program to /dev/ttyXX and you can do that. I do that with my GAH screens. ssh 1.2.3.4 > /dev/tty5 shiuld do what you want.[/quote]

It won't. The output will be on tty5, but the input will still be on the original tty.

What's wrong with switching to that tty, running the program, and switching back?

Good Guru

[quote author=Feztaa link=board=12;threadid=4174;start=0#42120 date=1027107352]
    It won't. The output will be on tty5, but the input will still be on the original tty.
    [/quote]

Thanks for the clarification. But I do know for a fact this can be done. Thats what sparked the interest in my getting my GAH and crap to run on specific tty's at boot. Your point is apparent here. I am piping output only in my example.... duh :