Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sound Problems

Associate

Sound Problems

Havent posted here in a while. Last night I installed Linux on my machine again, figured I would give it another chance. I cannot play sound on my machine I went into Control Center - Information - Sound and it says no information availible on Sound Card. What do I need to do to set this up?

Brett

Re:Sound Problems

First, give more information, including distro and sound card.

Associate

Red Hat 7.2 and Aureal Vortex.

hello,
    grap off the drivers here:

http://sourceforge.net/cvs/?group_id=8109

i hope you have kernel source install - the instructions are on the page - where it says modulename try puting in aureal and hopefully you shoudl get teh whole package

Associate

I downloaded a driver and when i tried to install as the install file instructed i got this error.

make install AUCHIP=AU8820
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/Brett/aureal'
    cc -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DAU8820 -mpentium -O6 -fomit-frame-pointer -Wall -pipe -I/usr/src/linux/include -c -o au_audio.o au_audio.c
    In file included from au_vortex.h:55,
    from au_audio.c:49:
    /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:1:2: #error Modules should never use kernel-headers system headers,
    /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:2:2: #error but rather headers from an appropriate kernel-source package.
    /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:3:2: #error Change -I/usr/src/linux/include (or similar) to
    /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:4:2: #error -I/lib/modules/$(uname -r)/build/include
    /usr/include/linux/modversions.h:5:2: #error to build against the currently-running kernel.
    make[1]: *** [au_audio.o] Error 1
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/Brett/aureal'
    make: *** [install20] Error 2

hello,
    did you recompile your own kernel at all? if so the heres what you wanna do - move the old kernel headers located at /usr/include/linux e.g. mv /usr/include/linux /usr/include/old_headers and create a link ot the new ones i.e.ln -s ../../src/linux/include/linux/ linux you need to type that while *in* the directory /usr/include.

also - try 1st making it then doing a make install

Associate

Ok no I didnt recompile my kernel. I don't even know what that means. Could you walk me through it?

hello,
    well we should not need to re-compile the kernel, this is the hardest part about linux - unsupported hardware. if you want to compile you kernel here is the
    PET

What you should do is make sure that the kernel source is installed - do a rpm -qa | grep kernel and see if anything that contains source and headers is there. i am guessing that you have headers installed, but not the kernel source.

Had the same problems when i installed RH-7.3 ... here's a linkie to the thread I started that hopefully points you in the right direction.

http://www.linuxjunior.org/yabbse/in...did=23;start=0

I know that it can be frustrating not knowing what certain terminology or actions mean, but just as a suggestion you might want to try some IRC chat channels to help give you some insight. I use Xchat personally (too lazy to download anything else), and have found it very helpful to log into openprojects.net and join the #ljr channel ... has never failed to help me fix any problem I've encountered!

Associate

Ok.... umm I don't understand what the kernal source is. Is that the source code for my version of the linux operating system? Heh im sure thats wrong but I am confused. What is it and where can i get it?

Brett