Thread: Who knows of....

Who knows of....

Ivan Moore. KDE/Debian contributor. Anyone know of him? I've got a friend that remembers the guy when he was in high school. The two of them ran a local BBS and were members of TDYC ( www.tdyc.com ). I think its pretty cool that some guy from a small town like mine eventually made a name for himself in the Linux community. Anyway, anyone recognize the name or hear of the guy before?

Re:Who knows of....

Ivan is no longer the maintainer of KDE for Debian.... apparently he got flamed over a libpng issue and he decided that enough was enough...

nuff love to him though....

Whoa, thats news to me. Thats to bad.

[quote author=praetorian link=board=13;threadid=4157;start=0#41243 date=1026635704]
    I think its pretty cool that some guy from a small town like mine eventually made a name for himself in the Linux community.
    [/quote]

you'd be surprised how many people from small towns or small countries have made quite a name for themselves in the linux community. i recently found out that there is a guy from Belgium (my country) who is a pretty important and well known kernel hacker.

[quote author=Ralinx link=board=13;threadid=4157;start=0#41249 date=1026639851]
    [quote author=praetorian link=board=13;threadid=4157;start=0#41243 date=1026635704]
    I think its pretty cool that some guy from a small town like mine eventually made a name for himself in the Linux community.
    [/quote]

you'd be surprised how many people from small towns or small countries have made quite a name for themselves in the linux community. i recently found out that there is a guy from Belgium (my country) who is a pretty important and well known kernel hacker.
    [/quote]

The mighty Rik of rmap fame ?

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=13;threadid=4157;start=0#41250 date=1026640806]
    The mighty Rik of rmap fame ?
    [/quote]

no he's originally from Holland (aka The Promised Land).. i was talking about Geert Uyterhoeven, maintainer of the framebuffer device and i think he was also involved with the m68k port

A fair bit of danes are seriously involved in the Linux kernel as well. Jens Axboe who's in charge of the IO scheduler for 2.5/6 for one.

btw... roflmao @ "The promised land"

I don't think any Beckvillians have made it to fame, except that lady that became a newscaster.

Kind Mastermind

[quote author=Evil Honkey Kenshi link=board=13;threadid=4157;start=0#41614 date=1026843440]
    I don't think any Beckvillians have made it to fame, except that lady that became a newscaster.
    [/quote]

I totally understand. My hometown seems to only get visitors who become famous, instead of producing them. Herman Melville visited (the beginning of Moby Dick takes place in my hometown) and Fredrick Douglas escaped slavery and then moved to my hometown. Our chief claim to fame is that we had a major hand in decimating the world-wide supply of whales! Ahh...New Bedford, Massachusetts. What a sh*t hole!

Thankfully, I was born in Illinois (my mom is from Mass, so my family moved back to the area when I was seven or eight. I've regretted that decision ever since!). Oh, well. Life goes on.

My town is just not known for anything. Even some people from Longview, a city 26 miles away, haven't even heard of it. That's why I usually skip the "Where the hell is Beckville" and just say I'm from near Longview or from East Texas. Longview, home of the East Texas hot air balloon race and the hands-on-a-truck contest.