Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Hello Debian (unstable)!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello Debian (unstable)!

Hello Debian (unstable)!

From Mandrake... And I am not looking back.
    Why?
    It is truly free.
    It is as current as I want it to be.
    I could (did) install it with 6 floppies and a net connection.

I currently have:
    OpenOffice 1.0
    Galeon 1.2.5
    KDE 3.02!
    Mozilla 1.0

...All grabbed via apt-get.

KDE 3.02 took 30 minutes to upgrade via apt-get without a hitch.
    ...And Fluxbox (my window manager of choice) took about 2 minutes.

Re:Hello Debian (unstable)!

Ah yes, Debian is good, but I've had bad runins with unstable (testing isn't bad though). Isn't apt-get wonderfull?

Here is a question though, I heard someone say that Debian was dying a while back ... any truth to this?

Debian needs a new stable release soon to stay a float.... I mean oh my god it's ancient.

Then again, Debian was never meant as a desktop Linux distro.

[quote author=Lovechild link=board=7;threadid=4122;start=0#40927 date=1026372394]
    Debian needs a new stable release soon to stay a float.... I mean oh my god it's ancient.

Then again, Debian was never meant as a desktop Linux distro.
    [/quote]

True ... they say that Woody is just around the corner.

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=7;threadid=4122;start=0#40970 date=1026413442]

True ... they say that Woody is just around the corner.
    [/quote]
    haven't they been saying that for over a year now?

One thing that I think people forget is that Debian isn't a commercial distribution.

Stable means frozen,tried and true, -- which translates to old and boring. They don't have the pressures of a commercial organization to put the Debian brand/reputation behind what is the latest and sexist app.

I don't know anyone who runs Stable as a desktop. With Debian you could be as bleeding edge as you want.

I haven't had any problems with Unstable yet even with the unofficial KDE3.02 debs.

I doubt Debian is gonna die unless it's users bail or developers or maintainers give up on it. If people condemn it for have an old stable version as the only "official" version then those folks are truly stupid. Woody ISOs have been out there for a very long long time and testing and unstable are everybit as good as any distro out there. I have been running unstable on my LIbranet box router and other debian partition for months now and the only problems i have had were with moz and eterm.

If one uses synaptic as their front end you should never end up with a hosed system in unstable or testing.

Oh right gnome 2 and KDE3 are not officially in any of the trees yet so unstable MUST be ancient. Bah who the hell cares if you want it you know where it is compile it or do a search for the experimental debs for christ sake are you bleeding lazy? > Is there not 10000+ other packages that you can play with? Seesh what a lame arguement.

Personally, i think Debian has gotten alot of undeserving criticism by way too many idiots. It is not the best distro out there but it is not a piece of crap either. If you can read and have any sort of patience you can install it and have a bleeding edge version running with minimal effort and performing every bit as good a gentoo, lfs, <insert other nondebian distros here>.

Gee can you tell i have had it with petty distro bashing? Get a life and understand that each of us uses what we like.

Hi,

I run debian on most of my machines.... so unsuprisingly I quite like it

A few of my favorite features include a simple installer, slim default install & nifty package management. The performance seems ok to me, although my gentoo & lfs systems were faster (but they did take more than 20 minutes to install).

I use woody at the moment & most the packages are new enough for me, the only major exception being nessus which is horribly old (but quickly fixed with an addition to my sources). The one major package I would like to see id KDE3, but I guess I can wait... although updating to sid is looking tempting.

Anyway IMO debian is still a pretty cool distro, but then what do I know

Regards

eddy

[quote author=Sarah31 link=board=7;threadid=4122;start=0#41014 date=1026429064]
    I doubt Debian is gonna die unless it's users bail or developers or maintainers give up on it. If people condemn it for have an old stable version as the only "official" version then those folks are truly stupid. Woody ISOs have been out there for a very long long time and testing and unstable are everybit as good as any distro out there. I have been running unstable on my LIbranet box router and other debian partition for months now and the only problems i have had were with moz and eterm.

If one uses synaptic as their front end you should never end up with a hosed system in unstable or testing.

Oh right gnome 2 and KDE3 are not officially in any of the trees yet so unstable MUST be ancient. Bah who the hell cares if you want it you know where it is compile it or do a search for the experimental debs for christ sake are you bleeding lazy? > Is there not 10000+ other packages that you can play with? Seesh what a lame arguement.

Personally, i think Debian has gotten alot of undeserving criticism by way too many idiots. It is not the best distro out there but it is not a piece of crap either. If you can read and have any sort of patience you can install it and have a bleeding edge version running with minimal effort and performing every bit as good a gentoo, lfs, <insert other nondebian distros here>.

Gee can you tell i have had it with petty distro bashing? Get a life and understand that each of us uses what we like.
    [/quote]This person is NOT to be trifled with. You mess with her, she'll wear your guts for garters (sorry Sarah).
    BTW: She's 100% right about Debian.

[quote author=Sarah31 link=board=7;threadid=4122;start=0#41014 date=1026429064]
    It is not the best distro out there but it is not a piece of crap either.

[/quote]

I think Debian is one of the best distros out there and I know that Lovechild agrees with it (1t'z 1337). I don't think anyone was bashing Debian here, I heard someone say Debian was dying and I asked and got valid responses. I didn't mean for my question to bother anyone.