Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Best Linux distro for Mac Hardware

Thread: Best Linux distro for Mac Hardware

Best Linux distro for Mac Hardware

so this fellow i work with wants to install Linux on his Mac, I would think Yellow Dog is the way to go - any opinions?

Re:Best Linux distro for Mac Hardware

I honestly think that the best distro for Mac is LFS, but you need a distro allready installed so :P .... I suggest Yellow Dog for RPM based and Debian for deb based.

Wow, now that I look at the choices again it looks like the PPC linux market is almost totally unsaturated. LinuxPPC hasn't released anything for 2 years, the only two RPM based distros are Yellowdog and Mandrake, and the only other possibilities are Debian (which ya either like or don't) or a source build distro (Gentoo, Sorceror, LFS).

Good Guru

Doesnt RedHat and SuSE do powerpc installations? Between those and Mandrake, the guy couldn't have an easier time getting into Linux.

Yellow Dog 2.2 all the way!!!! This distro is made just for Macs, and only Macs. Any hardware you have is supported, (except for a few L2 cache accerators) and is just plain cool! Nuff said.

BTW. Yellow Dog 2.3 just came out, and is stock full of hardware compatibility. I think they make versions quicker then RH, and IMHO that is a good thing. ;D 2.2 just came out in May (or April), and here it is July with 2.3.