Thread: Power supplies

Power supplies

I'm going to upgrade my power supply soon; I'm upping to 400W, any manufacturer reccomendations?

Good Guru

Re:Power supplies

Yes -- Avoid Best Buy. They charge too much for less quality than our local rape shop hits the poor Milwaukee'ans for.

get yourself an icute from www.frozencpu.com ;D

Top power ain't bad

Enermax (I think they are called that) they provide EXELLENT PSUs

Thanks for the input. The reason this became an issue is that I'm doing a general upgrade of my box soon (processor, additonal RAM, new video card etc.) and , being anal, I figured I should review my resources. I purchased my box off e-bay 2-1/2 years ago for, at the time,a fair price. I basically bought what I needed, and added what I had. Since I bought the box, I've added RAM (512 Mb of PC-133), repaced the original 10 Gb hard drive with a 15 Gb. 7200 rpm ATA-100 and added a 40 Gb. 7200rpm ATA-100, so I'm running 2 HD's. The box came with a Ricoh CDRW, and I added a 52X CD-ROM. Well, since I'm going to upgrade, I figured I should look at my power supply; I wasn't sure if I had a 250 W. or a 300W. (I never looked), but I knew that I was probably near the end of the reserve, between the hardware additions and booting 3 or 4 different operating systems. When I opened the box and looked at the info label, I damned near soiled myself; it's a 140 W. power supply! I've never had any major power-related problems, but since I installed the 40 gig HD in April, I have noticed some minor quirks. Other than finding out I'm a negligent idiot, the only other good thing that's come out of this is that I must have everything set up right and running stable. I guess you shouldn't take ANYTHING for granted. :-\

May as well go ahead and get a new case with that power supply then while you're at it - you're upgrading enough that you can easily build a spare box to use as a game server, win32 machine for work/school/kids/wife, etc.

[quote author=ph34r link=board=3;threadid=4127;start=0#41123 date=1026522680]
    May as well go ahead and get a new case with that power supply then while you're at it - you're upgrading enough that you can easily build a spare box to use as a game server, win32 machine for work/school/kids/wife, etc.
    [/quote]Aha, so you see through my nefarious plan! ;D ;D ;D

Kind Mastermind

PC Power and Cooling always gets great reviews for their power supplies. Antec PSU's and cases get great reviews as does Enermax (as Lovechild already stated).