Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Cable or DSL - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cable or DSL

Re:Cable or DSL

Ok, I can't find the speeds on the Bellsouth site. However, here are the bandwith speed CNET finds on my computer. it is interesting to note that in Linux, my bandwith is almost double than in Windows. This tests were done today Monday, around 7p.m.

Good Guru

Even though at least NT, possibly ME as well, stole the code for the BSD network stack. And yet they STILL fuck it up. In short, M$ == bad netowrk code. Even the stolen, albeit legal acquisition, code is offset by their other crappy code. Sad, but true.

I liked cable, but having a fluctuating bandwidth, and an inability of hosting, I had to switch to DSL. I get just a bit under 1.5MBps, and it never really changes speratically. In my area, staying up until 3am to get a good downstream with cable was not feasable. :P

ive got cox.net (cable isp) and they sux big time. no faster than dial up for most of th day (18 hours/day)
    but in the middle of the night (11pm to 5 am)
    they are plenty fast (capped at 256kbps). unfortunately when im using its at 7kbps to 700 bps mostly.
    so i recommend dsl over cable modem for a more reliable speed. I hate cable modems, the more people sign up, the slower it goes. cable modem is suck.

Good Guru

Well, I can see that in some areas, it must be getting oversaturated. But if you are looking for cheap net access, goto BestBuy or wherever and buy a cable modem ($80-$150) and hook it up to working cable TV. That is a cheap way to get access at least in Wisconsin here. I will be getting a DSL (if possible) for servers and gank cable for browsing.

Good Guru

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=4124;start=0#41899 date=1027011807]
    But if you are looking for cheap net access, goto BestBuy or wherever and buy a cable modem ($80-$150) and hook it up to working cable TV. That is a cheap way to get access at least in Wisconsin here.
    [/quote]
    Really ?? Is that possible?? I thought that they issue host names for authentication in addition to adding your router's MAC to their database for reverse routing.

I KNOW that if you have Internet Access with Cable, you can get standard cable service for free. Some cable providers will not give you the NET access if you do not have cable service currently but California prohibits such requirement for cable companies so that we can get Cable Internet and Cable TV separately or both if you choose to.

I used to have basic cable service which is only about 20 channels including local stations but after I cancelled my cable service and spending $ 5 on splitter, I've got standard cable service which is about 35 channels. ;D

Good Guru

Well, according to a subcontractor (about a year ago) Time Warner was not keeping the MAC addy's for any useful purpose yet. I will know soon if they change it. I am moving to another CO and since I moved back home temporarily, that too is a different CO. So if all three allow me -- they arent doing shit.

[quote author=Compunuts link=board=4;threadid=4124;start=0#41938 date=1027025502]
    [quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=4124;start=0#41899 date=1027011807]
    But if you are looking for cheap net access, goto BestBuy or wherever and buy a cable modem ($80-$150) and hook it up to working cable TV. That is a cheap way to get access at least in Wisconsin here.
    [/quote]
    Really ?? Is that possible?? I thought that they issue host names for authentication in addition to adding your router's MAC to their database for reverse routing.

I KNOW that if you have Internet Access with Cable, you can get standard cable service for free. Some cable providers will not give you the NET access if you do not have cable service currently but California prohibits such requirement for cable companies so that we can get Cable Internet and Cable TV separately or both if you choose to.

I used to have basic cable service which is only about 20 channels including local stations but after I cancelled my cable service and spending $ 5 on splitter, I've got standard cable service which is about 35 channels. ;D
    [/quote]
    I used to use TW's cable broadband access. I tried hooking up a couple of different computers I was working on to my ethernet line and I got an IP from dhcp without doning any configuration on different nics.

Good Guru

[quote author=tricksterisweak link=board=4;threadid=4124;start=0#41983 date=1027043904]
    I tried hooking up a couple of different computers I was working on to my ethernet line and I got an IP from dhcp without doning any configuration on different nics.
    [/quote]
    The NIC's MAC address is different from your DSL/Cable modem's MAC address. What we commonly call as cable/DSL modems are nothing more than brouters ( bridge+router ). The modem is the one that cable companies keep track of in their network. What your hook up to it is entirely different story. You can change many computers with as many NICs as you want and they don't care. But your DSL/Cable modem's are not interchangable and movable ( at least in theory anyway ). Otherwise, they would be giving away Net access for FREE for anyone with compartible routers ( and they are cheap ).

What I refered to by rotuer's MAC is the CSU/DSU unit from ISP.

Good Guru

Compunuts -- I know what you are saying. You are correct up to the immovable part. I took my cable modem from my old apartment 30 mi away to my dads house, and it gets an ip there. I got a Motorola surfboard 4300. should that matter.