Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cable or DSL

Cable or DSL

I've been using cable for about 3 years now and have been looking into DSL. Earthlink has a DSL service that has 1.5mbit downstream and a 128k upstream for about 50$ a month.

What do you guys think about DSL/Cable? What are the real pro's and cons?

Good Guru

Re:Cable or DSL

Coming from some one who has dealt with 4 DSL installs and works for a telecom -- avoid DSL if you are doing residential like the black plague. Cable is much more simple for residential. Commercial -- you are stuck with praying that your telecom can get DSL; or get forced into going commercial cable, which isn't bad for what you get, but are forced to get alot if you want a static IP. Up here in Milwaukee, Time Warner hits us up for $189 1.5/1.5 with one Static. Not expensive -- but almost 5x the residential cost.

DSL is evil technology. Expect the moron telco to screw up the install multiple times, and the evolution of the wire to high speed DSL to take ALOT of time.

I have tried both here in Orlando. Cable is easier because you don't need the client; just DHCP. Besides that, I've no complaints. I get mine from Bellsouth, about $49/month.

I personally use cable. (I live in NZ) Cable is good because its symmetrical. (Get both 15kB/s upstream and an extra 15kB/s downstream [my average d/l speed]) Whereas my friend has either DSL or ADSL and only gets 15kB/s total.
    I also like the idea of having a dedicated cable for my internet insuring that the cable is modern and working healthily (NZ telephone cables only just manage a 56k dialup modem and they were designed for 33k)

Damn crappy lines. Telecom can't even deliver at least 14.4k to the whole country. (There are a lot of rural areas though)

[quote author=tricksterisweak link=board=4;threadid=4124;start=0#41008 date=1026426808]
    I have tried both here in Orlando. Cable is easier because you don't need the client; just DHCP. Besides that, I've no complaints. I get mine from Bellsouth, about $49/month.
    [/quote]

Ah, ya don't live to far from me then. I didn't know there were other cable providers in CFL area. Whats your speeds on Bell South Cable? I currently use Road Runner and it's nice and fast (128k average but usually higher on faster servers). My only big complaint is they use Windows NT and when a new virus popus up they get server problems.

i like DSL - i have DirectTVInternet and they have been quite good. It used to be telocity. The only bummer is that I can't get rid of my phone line.

I got dsl a few months back & its been good so far... but I am not sure how its different over here in the UK as we use pppoa.

I got a self install deal which had no setup charge & I just had to supply the modem/router. I pay 20 a month for 512 down & 256 up (probably get about 490/180). I am supposed to be on a dynamic ip but the lease has not expired since I got it. My ISP is cool about me using linux & doesn't care that I have a LAN & servers sat on the end of the line. Only bad experiences have been a couple of hours down time.

Anyway.. in my experience dsl is fairly cheap & works well. The only major down side is adsl isnt great for hosting stuff due to the poor upstream.

Regards

eddy

Good Guru

[quote author=SpookyEddy link=board=4;threadid=4124;start=0#41262 date=1026661081]
    Anyway.. in my experience dsl is fairly cheap & works well.
    [/quote]

It is a nifty technology, but definitely not cheap or easy. I had about had enough of the SBC Hi-Cap guys making me waste my time because they are too lazy to do their job. Even with the nifty tools -- definitely not easy. I am just glad I can make someone else do the CO work. That is where the real fun begins!!

Perhaps its just SBC being morons and making everyone's life miserable. But, DSL has been a nightmare in the Midwest area here. I have actually thought about Satellite DSL or hooking my Nextel up and using that -- just to avoid SBC. A few joints like McLeod jave their own CO's, but its not for residential just business. And McLeod is the best telcom I have ever had the pleasure of working with!

[quote author=Ashcrow link=board=4;threadid=4124;start=0#41238 date=1026627484]
    [quote author=tricksterisweak link=board=4;threadid=4124;start=0#41008 date=1026426808]
    [/quote]

Ah, ya don't live to far from me then. I didn't know there were other cable providers in CFL area. Whats your speeds on Bell South Cable? I currently use Road Runner and it's nice and fast (128k average but usually higher on faster servers). My only big complaint is they use Windows NT and when a new virus popus up they get server problems.
    [/quote]
    My bad. I meant Bellsouth DSL. Although Adelphia also provides cable internet access, just not on my area. I am not sure what my speeds are, but I will check when I get home tonight.