Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: cga makes it official

cga makes it official

I am sticking with KDE now. After using 3.0 for a little over a month, I am quite certain that it is the best GUI I have ever used. I find it to be very flexible, useful, easy and powerful. Frankly, I almost never use the CLI anymore as darn near everything on the box can be controlled via the SuSE or KDE control panels.

This is a major change for me, having been a long time IceWM and CLI user, but I am so very, very impressed with KDE 3. I still think of IceWM as a great WM and the best choice for lower end hardware, but for me, it is now KDE all the way, baby.

Re:cga makes it official

welcome my friend

you are now part of an enlightened group of linux users. now go get high...

I like it a lot too. When I first started using Linux I used it a whole lot. Then I started experimenting with other WMs, and found Blackbox and Fluxbox were the fastest/best. KDE seemed kind of bloated, slow, and cumbersome.

However, KDE 3 kicks ass, is fast, and makes a lot of stuff easier to do, so I have to use the command line less. (I'm just lazy). Also, it looks freaking awesome - Mosfet's Liquid, crystal icons and transparent menus - yeah!

[quote author=cga link=board=6;threadid=4159;start=0#41264 date=1026662180]
    I am sticking with KDE now.
    [/quote]

I don't believe you have the ability to stick with anything for any length of time.

cga, what type of box are you running?

[quote author=littleman link=board=6;threadid=4159;start=0#41272 date=1026668580]
    cga, what type of box are you running?
    [/quote]

Home built, 700 MHz AMD processor, 128 meg RAM, 6 gig HD. Video is an ATI 64 based PCI card, sound is a basic Soundblaster. 17" Komodo monitor.

Pretty basic stuff.

[quote author=TaeShadow link=board=6;threadid=4159;start=0#41271 date=1026667426]
    [quote author=cga link=board=6;threadid=4159;start=0#41264 date=1026662180]
    I am sticking with KDE now.
    [/quote]

I don't believe you have the ability to stick with anything for any length of time.
    [/quote]

Hahaha. We shall see. ;D

I've heard VERY good things about it. It's compiling right now. It's now 5:30 pm EST, and I emerged KDE 3.0 and the latest X at 2:30 pm EST. Needless to say, a whole lot of work has gone into these two projects. I'm anxious to take a look at what's been compiling for 3 hours on an 800 MHz Athlon.

>Pretty basic stuff
    Well, I guess it is by today's standards, but I'd think that would be near the bottom of what would be livable with KDE3. My desktop is a 500 P3 and I just don't have the patients to run it.

Holy freakin crap. What kind of project takes 6 freakin hours to download and compile? I typed "emerge kde" at 2:30 pm today, and XFree wasn't installed. It's now 8:00 pm and it's done X, now on to KDE. Perhaps my Athlon 800 ISN'T all I'll ever need!