Thread: Cant access internet

Cant access internet

Ugh....I have a Dell OptiPlex GX1P which came with Red Hat Linux installed as well as the Gnome GUI...
    Everytime I try to access the internet via Netscape or when I boot up it says "could not look up internet address for (none).
    This will prevent GNOME from operating correctly. it then goes on to say that I need to add (none) to the /etc/hosts file ............
    Unfortunately, that file is read only and it wont let me override it.
    I think the problem is that instead of seeing:
    [root@pinky /root]#

My prompt is instead:
    [root@(none) /root]#

My Windows XP systems can access it via the same LinSys Cable Router. Even direct connect to wall socket doesnt work either.

Good Guru

Re:Cant access internet

[quote author=chipset35 link=board=4;threadid=4120;start=0#40889 date=1026353024]
    it then goes on to say that I need to add (none) to the /etc/hosts file ............
    Unfortunately, that file is read only and it wont let me override it.
    [/quote]
    That file is not read-only. You can override with root account only. Did you change it with root account or normal user account??
    I think the problem is that instead of seeing:
    [root@pinky /root]#

My prompt is instead:
    [root@(none) /root]#
    That is because your system name is set to (none). Change it using any editor for the file, /etc/sysconfig/networking/profiles/default/network file. There you will see something like this. Mine is
    Code:
    HOSTNAME=supra
    Then, make sure you have correct setting for your networking modules to look for hosts file instead of going out there and look for your hostname.
    My /etc/host.conf file looks like this.
    Code:
    order hosts,bind
    Then, check your /etc/hosts file to have correct name in. My file looks like this.
    Code:
    127.0.0.1              localhost                        localhost
    192.168.40.44       supra.mynetwork.net       supra
    Check to make sure those settings are in place. Let us know the status.

My Windows XP systems can access it via the same LinSys Cable Router. Even direct connect to wall socket doesnt work either.
    Accessing Internet involved much more than just plug the wire in and go ... You will need to set up the correct host name so that your ISP can identify you whether you are legitimate user or not. Whether your ISP use DHCP or PPPoE or static IP and stuff like that. So, we need to know the complete story of how you are connected and what you done so far and what's your errors and stuff.

Good Guru

For proper access to the internet you need in your case 3 things

1)Gateway setup -- where to look fo the internet, in your case the Linksys's IP
    2)DNS entries -- you should be able to use the Linksys's IP, but may need to consult your ISP for exact addresses
    3)Proper IP -- make sure your IP is issued, or your IP is on the same subnet as the Linksys.

go into your network configurator and set these accordingly. I am assuming if you have a Linksys Gateway you are getting a dhcp address. If so make sure that you are getting an IP, DNS, and gateway value plugged in for you. I personally prefer static, but that is me...

Check this URL, it is about setting up your network
    http://www.redhat.com/docs/manuals/l...-ethernet.html
    And if you are unable to browse to it from another box, here are some excerpts:
    Code:
     To establish an Ethernet connection, you need a network interface card (NIC), a network cable (usually a CAT5 cable), and a network to connect to. There are different speeds to networks; make sure your NIC is compatible with the network to which you want to connect.

To add an Ethernet connection, follow these steps:
    1.Click the Devices tab.
    2.Click the Add button.
    3.Select Ethernet connection from the Device Type list, and click Next.
    4.If you have already added the network interface card to the hardware list, select it from the Ethernet card list. Otherwise, select Other Ethernet Card to add the hardware device.
          Note Note
          The installation program usually detects supported Ethernet devices and prompts you to configure them. If you configured any Ethernet devices during the installation, they will already appear in the hardware list on the Hardware tab.
    5.If you selected Other Ethernet Card, the Select Ethernet Adapter window appears. Select the manufacturer and model of the Ethernet card. Select the device name. If this is the system's first Ethernet card, select eth0 as the device name, if this is the second Ethernet card, select eth1, and so on. The Network Administration Tool also allows you to configure the resources for the NIC. Click Next to continue.
    6. On the Configure Network Settings page as shown in Figure 6-1, choose between DHCP and a static IP address. You may also specify a hostname for the device. If the device receives a different IP address each time the network is started, do not specify a hostname. Click Next to continue. 
    7. Click Finish on the Create Ethernet Device page. 
     Be sure to click Apply to save the changes.

After adding the Ethernet device, you can edit its configuration by selecting the device from the device list and clicking Edit. For example, when the device is added, it is configured to start at boot time by default. You can edit its configuration to modify this setting.

When the device is added, it is not activated, as seen by its Inactive status. To activate the device, select it from the device list, and click the Activate button.

Cripes. I answered this on LNO.

Good Guru

Same dude?

[quote author=Schotty link=board=4;threadid=4120;start=0#41109 date=1026511022]
    Same dude?
    [/quote]

Same dude, but possibly different nick.

Good Guru

Honestly, I cant blame him if he's just desparate to get his problem solved -- I have been there. But, if you already resolved his issue .....

WAIT! Maybe he's a plant -- trying to see whaich board is nicer and helps out best! We may win an award here --- nah. Thats too far fetched.....

Good Guru

I think posting on differnet message boards is okay even though from the same person. Differnet boards have different level of expertise stuff there.

If he were to post on the same board but on differnet area such as Techsuport and software, then I may have a problem.

IMHO, it's totally acceptable fot Chipset35 to post on differnet BBSes.

Good Guru

Well, personally I encourage it if you are in a bind and need quick help.