Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

Warning: Function ereg() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 4

Warning: Function split() is deprecated in ..../includes/class_postbit.php(345) : eval()'d code on line 19

How to make network card detected?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How to make network card detected?

How to make network card detected?

Could anyone give me a step-by-step explanation?

Right now, at boot `ifconfig eth0 192.168.0.2` gives me:
    Code:
    SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
    eth0: unknown interface: No such device
    And manually typing `modprobe ne2k-pci` gives me:
    Code:
    /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/ne2k-pci.o.gz: init_module: No such device
    /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/ne2k-pci.o.gz: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
          You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
    /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/ne2k-pci.o.gz: insmod /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/ne2k-pci.o.gz failed
    /lib/modules/2.4.18/kernel/drivers/net/ne2k-pci.o.gz: insmod ne2k-pci failed
    Somehow Linux doesnt detect my card, but on the other hand, it is mentioned in /proc/pci:

Code:
      Bus  0, device  18, function  0:
        Ethernet controller: PCI device 0500:0500 (rev 0).
          IRQ 10.
          Master Capable.  No bursts.  Max Lat=5.
          I/O at 0x6000 [0x601f].
    My card is NE2000 compatible and it works perfectly in Windows.

Good Guru

Re:How to make network card detected?

Did you recompile the kernel by any chance? Did you by any chance know what the chip on the NIC itself is? For exapmle an Realtek 8139 eill have an RTL8139 IC on the card. This can help in identifying the proper module, since we are obviously having issues with that particular module you are using.
    Once we get some basic Q's outta the way we should be ready to get your NIC up and going

speaking of network cards, i have a Netgear, the card says on it that its model is "fa310tx rev-d1", how do i find out the module though? also on the topic of finding out modules, say i had onboard sound too, how do i found out that module as well?

Mentor

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=1;threadid=4099;start=#40628 date=1026168787]
    speaking of network cards, i have a Netgear, the card says on it that its model is "fa310tx rev-d1", how do i find out the module though? also on the topic of finding out modules, say i had onboard sound too, how do i found out that module as well?
    [/quote]

My Netgear NIC uses the tulip driver ...

hello,
    is there an entry in the file /etc/modules.conf for eth0 ?

also - have ya run a depmod -a then the modprobe ne2k-pci ?

[quote author=cloverm link=board=1;threadid=4099;start=0#40630 date=1026169907]
    [quote author=BurntAsh link=board=1;threadid=4099;start=#40628 date=1026168787]
    [/quote]

My Netgear NIC uses the tulip driver ...
    [/quote]
    This guy says he contacted Netgear on that card (well, rev.2 instead of 1) and they said it was not supported.
    http://www.tux.org/hypermail/linux-t...-May/0020.html
    However, all around the ent, people say to use the tulip driver...
    http://www.beowulf.org/listarchives/...8/08/0063.html
    You might also want to take a look at this:
    http://216.239.51.100/search?q=cache...n&ie=UTF-8

i guess i can always throw in the dlink 530tx at least i know that uses rhine and has support. but how do you find out the modules for hardware anyway, like soundcards and nics for future references?

My card is a Winbond 89C940, which uses the 89C940F chip

/etc/modules.conf is an empty file, what should I put in it?

Good Guru

[quote author=BurntAsh link=board=1;threadid=4099;start=0#40665 date=1026192807]
    i guess i can always throw in the dlink 530tx at least i know that uses rhine and has support. but how do you find out the modules for hardware anyway, like soundcards and nics for future references?
    [/quote]

Well what I do here at work and at home, is find the chip and ID it. So if I have a 123A456C chip, I will do a Google search for 123A456C windows linux network card driver . That will help out the best (at least thats what I feel). If you know the chip manufacturer, that can help too. For example, the RTL series chips are made my realtek, but can be found a a buttload of other manufacturer's cards. So a 'off brand' card, may not be that off brand in the end

Good Guru

[quote author=Bartman link=board=1;threadid=4099;start=0#40668 date=1026202582]
    My card is a Winbond 89C940, which uses the 89C940F chip

/etc/modules.conf is an empty file, what should I put in it?

[/quote]

Well it looks like RedHat 6.0 used the ne.o module. Heres the webpage I grabbed it off of.

I am going to assume that it will be that way still.